PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
...teasing of course. Although a bit smaller than I anticipated, this little joy smokes heavenly. It draws more smooth and freely than any other pipe I have. Yep, it came today and I've been admiring it before "defiling" it with baccy but after the initial infatuation, I put some Louisiana Red in it and I must say it was sheer bliss. Effortless draw and I would have never believed an estate pipe could look so good. It was in my mind, nearly pristine and I love the box.
I can foresee another larger version in my future-a most satisfying find and I'm not a bit disappointed. Whoever cleaned it up did a superb job...and now for some pics.
_DEF4497a.jpg

_DEF4500a.jpg

_DEF4499a.jpg

_DEF4503a.jpg

Jul 15, 2011
Ugliest Estate I Ever Saw
If that thing is supposed to be ugly, I wanna know what a good looking pipe looks like to you :?
In all seriousness that thing looks pretty nice. Looks like it would smoke flake really well. Thanks for sharing.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Nice pipe, Colcolt! What group size is that beauty? I have a few Dunhills now and my first instinct was to always go for the bigger sizes but I have had some supremely good smokes out of my group 2 full bent billiard and group 3 tanshell straight. I usually smoke high nic blends through them. They do draw nicely, don't they? Good smoking with your new acquisition!

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
You know, I have access to a pretty heavy duty incinerator. If you find that it's too ugly for you to handle... Send it my way. I'll be sure to dispose of it for you! Heck, I'll even cover the shipping!

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
morton-From the markings on the side it's a 3103 which is size 3. I think next time I'll go with a size 5 but this is a sweet smoker, nonetheless.
I was hesitant about buying an estate pipe as I could envision a cracked mortice, teeth marks and spider webbing in the bowl with a lot of cake to remove. That was not the case with this one. It looked fabulous with none of the aforementioned problem areas. I think it's beckoning me to fill its bowl once again with maybe some Autumn Evening before the night's over.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Thanks to all. I am enjoying it tonight but I need to give it a rest until tomorrow. I noticed what a tight fit the stem is to the shank. There are no gaps and it's a pretty snug fit. There is a tiny number right after "Made in England" that looks like 04. I assume that means it was made in 2004.

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Nice grain to boot. Of course you expect that from Dunhill. Smoke with a smile.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Smoked my third bowl from this beauty today and it was even better than the first. It is without doubt, the smoothest drawing pipe I have. It seems to do well with whatever I want to put in it from Autumn Evening to Hafling's Leaf and Louisiana Red. I'm totally happy with it. Next will be a little Dunbar I've ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.