PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
My first notable one was Haddo's delight, that was last summer. This time it was Low Country Black. Basically it was a harsh version of Nightcap with half the flavour, but it was bone dry out of the tin, and I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be somewhat aromatic.

If you can send them back willy nilly that's great but for an international buyer I'm going to avoid any tinned aromatics from Cornell & Diehl from now on.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
C&D blends tend to be extremely dry. I like them like that, but rehydration can be done successfully.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I'm with Chasingembers, as long as my tobacco does to have the same snap crackle and pop as my cereal:)

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I disagree about the statement about C&D blends being dry. I've had numerous tins to date, and have yet to have one that was at an acceptable level of humidification.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D does such wonderful non-aromatics, I don't know much about their aromatics, dry or otherwise. Many blends, not just C&D, do well smoked dry. Burning them generates a bit of moisture, and you can add a little moisture (though I never do) or mix them with another complementary blend that is more moist. C&D does such extraordinary sophisticated burley non-aro blends and other non-aros, I go elsewhere for aromatics.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Unless the C&D is real old, so old that the outgassing from the fermentation has blown the seal, I trust their aluminum tins for long term storage more than the coin-open type tins such as Dunhills. The exception to the C&D/Pease production is the 10YO tall steel tins that can rust from the inside because of the tobacco's moisture. The oxidation process uses up moisture and dries out the leaf. At the extreme, the rust eventually pinholes the tin to the point that it is no longer sealed.
hp

les

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Low Country Black is not an aromatic. It is a Latakia blend with no topping.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I also believe C&D is known to ship a bit on the dry side. It seems to be that their blenders (who are well respected) feel that is the correct moisture to do so. I wish SG would ship FVF a little drier but they must be doing what is right :)
You know, some blends (or blenders) just don't "work" for some folks. I, for instance, struggle to find a C&D blend I like. Is that their fault? No...they are highly respected and I have no doubt they are amazing at their craft...it just happens to not be my cup of tea.
Fortunately for me, God placed McClelland on the Earth so I can be quite happy. :)
I guess I wouldn't rush to judge an entire manufacturer on one tin - though as we've noted, C&D likes to ship their stuff crispy. I've had to send back tins too...though I can understand your frustration of being international with difficult exchanges.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
It well may be that the tins were setting at the retailers in stock for some time.

I have had tins from time to time which were drier than usual. I have always attributed this to just having sat in inventory at some point. In some instances aro's that are normally wet come quite dry. I have not noticed this being a particular problem with C&D, but I do not smoke a great deal of it either.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
C&D tins drier than Pease, and I would say drier than most others, but not as dry as John Patton.

Yep, the C&D blends that I like come bone dry. I appreciate this in a tobacco, because then I am not paying for a bunch of water or chemicals that I have to dry out of my tobacco before I can smoke it. D&R blends come perfect for smoking right out of the tin, IMO.
Inversely, Sam Gawith blends tend to come drenched and take forever for me to dry out, without getting a mouth full of steam, IMO. I think it has something to do with their process. I don't hate it. It's just a minor annoyance to go through before I can smoke them. I just leave the tins open for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.