PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi Folks,just thought to ask to hear your estemeed opinion how you think if these following Burley forward blends are good enough and suited for breaking in a brand new pipe,Carter Hall-Mc Barens Symphony,Scottish Mixture and both Amphoras. Thanks for your comments, Paul

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I always use the Codger blends, Captain Black, Carter Hall, Lane 1Q etc. etc. real convenient since I have a lot on hand for daily smoke

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Anything you enjoy, but Carter Hall is the classic. Just a footnote that some of us (Forums members and pipe smokers in general) don't build cake. We scoop out the bowl after each smoke, wipe it out with a piece of paper towel, napkin, or tissue, the do the pipe cleaner and buffing. This preserves enough of a carbon layer to protect the inside of the bowl but builds no cake. This has kept all of my pipes happy, some over decades, and retains the size of the bowl. This was the chosen method of erstwhile Forums member roth who had even more posts than I do. Not promoting this; just take it under consideration.

Reactions: seorim
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
listening for your precious comments,as for Orlig G Sliced,here in europe its too pricey for breaking in purposes, very fine tobacco though.So I'm to order some more CH,somehow got understanding that neutral medium burley bleds fit best this bill.

To me, pipes aren't binary, un-broken in/ broken in. They are always in transition. Some pipes, I just love the aroma of the briar from the first puff, and figuring out which tobacco pairs best with which pipe is a part of the process. So, I don't just use a special tobacco to break it in with. I just smoke what I am hoping will pair best with the aroma of the warm briar, shape of the chamber, etc... To me the process never has an end, sometimes, I scrape back the cake and just keep the pipe evolving.

Reactions: Dandy Pipesmoker

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm in the whatever-I-fancy-at-the-time camp. I keep my cake minimal, so building it rapidly is counter productive for me. And I don't care for burley, so-so on VaPers; mostly English blends get the call. Currently breaking in a Pete spigot with Smyrna, Balkan Sasieni and New Mixture (Kramer's, LA)

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Now that I've smoked all sorts of tobacco. Not too worried about which tobacco to break in a pipe. I have pipes that smoke flake and I smoke all kinds in it. Vice versa for english/etc.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Carter Hall has always been my go-to break-in smoke. Cake building aside, it's so easy to smoke that it almost smokes itself. So, it's easy on the pipe. I think there's more subtlety to the flavor than some would have you believe and whichever nuances are most pronounced help to inform me of what type of blends the pipe will prefer going forward.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I don't worry about it, I don't tend to build too much cake though. I just smoke what I like. When it is brand new I make sure that I pay attention and don't puff away to fast.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Add me to the list of folks who don't build cake. As I look at a dime I would say half that is still too thick for my liking.
As for tobacco, I smoke a wide variety of greatly differing blends and see if the pipe has a preference.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Anything with Virginias in it seems to work good for me.
"This particular Brog was olive wood, not briar as stated when I purchased it."
1coyote, how did the olive wood seem to smoke before it burned out? I have always wanted one for my collection. The trees are very long lived so I would think the wood should be quite dense and hard. I am guessing it was just a bad piece of wood. I saw some that were around $250 on P&C back a few years ago, I just never pulled the trigger and the one I really liked sold.
To bad about the burn out and Brogg not standing up for it though. Do you think th mail

might have gotten lost?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Anything that you like will work good. I have breaking in a new pipe more that dealing with car dealers. Cannot stand the taste of wood. So put me down as a cake builder. Little while back a picked up an estate pipe that had very thick cake. One of those you see where you wonder how they got the tobacco in. Anyway did a clean up without messing with the cake, just so I could try it. Best smoke I ever had!!!! After that I'm tossing my reamer.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Plenty of good info here.
In my view a pipe smokes better as it gets used (broken in). As for cake build, to me it is a by-product of smoking and must be kept down to a minimum. Certainly bare briar is risky business, but it takes little time for some rich oils from the tobacco to put enough residue on the bare wood as a protective coating. The problem then becomes controlling cake build up rather than creating it.
As far as the blend used goes would depend on a few factors. If you tend to dedicate your pipes and know what it will be dedicated to use that blend type. Conversely, if you don't know which blend you will be dedicating it to, just avoid the known ghosters, i.e., heavy aros, lats, etc.
If you don't tend to dedicate your pipes, smoke what ever you normally smoke, and enjoy. After a few smokes, any tobacco blend will give you enough residue to reduce the risk of burn out.
A typical briar pipe rarely gets burned down to the briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.