PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
Miesa Cupcake Tate took the 135 pound women's title from Holly Holme, the Preacher's daughter. I was hoping Miesha would win, but had picked Holly. Then Nate Dias defeated Connor McGregor at 170 lbs. Both guys are among my favorites. In his last fight Connor defeated an opponent on a 10 year win streak in 13 seconds, so I thought he was the favorite. Nate, who has a high level Jiu Jitsu game took Connor apart easily and quickly on the ground. He had 10 days notice for the fight and no training camp, but is a triathalon competitor in impeccable condition. Both fights ended with rear naked chokes. Holly passed out, Connor tapped. Any other UFC fans here?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Two elite strikers who are not elite on the ground. Love McGregor and Holm, but it is MMA and not kickboxing. I watched the prelims, and there were a couple more fights were an advantage on the ground made the difference. McGregor should stay at 145 lbs. Holm will be back.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Yes I'm a big ufc fan. Nates brother Nick has swam to Alcatraz and back twice!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I was impressed with Tate's stand-up vs Holm. Holm showed she has no ground defense.
I was worried for Diaz and he got destroyed in the first round, I had McGregor pinned to win via knockout, but much to my surprise McGregor got hit and was out on his feet in the second, Diaz swarmed, and once it went to the ground it was all over. Props to Diaz!
Looks like McGregor's domination of multiple weight classes is on hold. Although the guy pulls in fans and is like the Ali of mma.
Of note also, did you see Dana white put the belt on miesha tate? He ran out of the ring basically.I'm sure Holm slaughtering his women's face off mma, and then tate putting the new champ to sleep, yet having two losses to rousey, left a sour taste in his mouth.!
Just goes to show how the top fighters in each weight class are so close in talent. Truly is anyone's fight, which makes it more exciting.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Both championship matches make UFC 196 a cut above.
With Nate Diaz being a Gracie Jiu Jitsu guy, we also have a connect all the way back to UFC 1!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I don't follow UFC, but it's hard not to know how often McGregor shoots his mouth off on how great he is. It's usually all over some news website at some point. Call it gamesmanship, or whatever, but sooner or later it's going to catch up with you.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The never-ending Striker vs. Ground Game arms race is what gives MMA its appeal. A quarter century on (almost) and Diaz/McGregor was like watching Royce Gracie do his constrictor snake thing against a succession of fearsome hitters back in the early 90's all over again.

Aug 14, 2012
I skipped two boxing cards to watch this and was not disappointed. I love the spirit and jujitsu of the Diaz brothers. Holm needs to learn it, Rousey should have taken up Mayweather's offer to teach her to box. Tate is hot, isn't she? They will probably give Rousey a match against her. If White didn't like it, it would be because Ronda beat Tate twice already so it might not be a very profitable fight.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I called Tate to win... people like to count her out but she is as gritty and smart as they come.
@Foggy... Mayweather teaching her how to box wouldn't have helped her against Holm, Holm has been boxing for far too long and there is no way that Rousey would ever catch up to her. I think Holm beats her 9/10 times. Mousey is very aggressive and come straight at you, Holm just dances away couple that with Rousey's chicken style movement (she doesn't move her head) easy target for Holm's long reach. Tate on the other hand doesn't rush in and she has a strong wrestling base so she grinds out wins.
Diaz is another one I had called to win... Connor was NOT going to knock out Nick. Nick has a longer reach and better boxing skills. I had a feeling he was going to pepper Connor until, as Nate says of most of his opponents, he became a wrestler and shot in, wasn't going to take long from there as we saw Connors ground game against Mendez.
I was surprised by the Eric Silva fight (on the prelims) I didn't expect that outcome as he's been on a tear lately but Taleb is a BEAST.. so yeah.
I thought it was a very solid card all around. Really enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.