PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
We all probably have our favorite "sleeper blend" or two, meaning a blend that doesn't seem to get much attention on the message boards or review sites but we can't for the life of us figure out why. We believe they are every bit as good as the superpopular blends from Pease or Esoterica yet they are only rarely mentioned. I'd love to hear from others about their favorite sleepers, but in the meantime here are reviews on two of my faves: C&D's Pennington Gap and Two Friends' Redwood. Both of these blends appeal to both my sweet tooth and my love of all things perique, and both of them straddle the line of "is it an are or not?" Also, I wouldn't necessarily recommend either to a new pipe smoker unless they were coming over from a cigarette or cigar habit, as both of them have higher than average levels of nicotine.

First off…
PENNINGTON GAP
There are times when I think this is one of the two or three best presentations of perique on the market. It's a decidedly weird tobacco, and I don't know how to categorize it other than to say it occupies a bizarre, perique-drenched category all its own.

Pennington Gap is reminiscent in appearance and concept to G.L. Pease's Barbary Coast, only this blend is easy to light and burns smoothly all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It burns cool, doesn't bite at all, tastes naturally sweet, and it sings in pretty much any type of pipe I care to smoke it in. As the tin description indicates, the flavor seems to go back and forth between the burlies and perique, which is an interesting effect if you're smoking this at a time when you can really concentrate on the tobacco. The perique deserves special attention here, as for some reason this mixture really brings out that condimental leaf's fruity character and would serve as an ideal introduction to its charms.

The bourbon topping is heavily applied yet seems to actually cool the smoke, producing a flavor and texture akin to a chilled banana pudding. As a rule, though, I prefer to let the tin air out a few days. The flavoring seems to evaporate quickly, leaving behind a more natural taste that retains some of the cool mouthfeel. As good as this stuff is, however, I think of it exclusively as a summer blend -- I just can't seem to imagine smoking it much once the weather turns cold.

After years of smoking this, I'm still not sure whether to call Pennington Gap an "aromatic" or not. On the one hand, it's heavily sauced and has a noticeable amount of unsweetened cavendish. On the other hand, it doesn't behave like an aromatic at all. This is an exceptionally full blend, high in both nicotine and tobacco flavor (did I mention the PERIQUE?), which is hardly characteristic of aromatics. But perhaps the most important argument against calling Pennington Gap an aromatic lies with the room note, which is unlikely to win you many friends -- it's pleasant enough to smokers, but pungent and quite strong to non-smoker.
REDWOOD
First off, here is the tin description: "A mixture for Virginia lovers! We start with naturally sweet red and stoved red Virginia tobaccos, add enough perique to provide some body and spice things up a bit, and finish the blend with a pinch of unflavored black toasted Cavendish. The color is reminiscent of the hues of a redwood forest; the flavor is rich and soothing, and the room aroma is as pleasing as a walk in the woods after a gentle spring rain."
You can tell Pease had a hand in this blend just from reading the promotional copy, which promises an experience similar to hiking in a bucolic wilderness surrounded by frolicking wildlife like a freakin' Disney cartoon. Hyperbole aside, however, this stuff is dynamite. As in, one of the two or three best Va/Pers on the market today. It's similar in concept to Haddo's Delight, only it doesn't have any topping and might actually be stronger. I've known people who claim this stuff can give Dark Flake a run for its money when it comes to Vitamin N. I think that comparison is nonsense, but I mention it because some people (including Pease himself) find it to be a bit much. As far as I'm concerned, though, it's just about right.

Redwood is so sweet and fragrant it's hard to remember at times that it contains no topping or added flavoring -- just some unflavored cavendish. You never forget that you are smoking an exceptionally flavorful and soothing Va/Per. I don't know what types of red Vas are packed into this stuff, but this blend is as distinctive in its own way as a McClelland's product. No ketchup or any other such nonsense, just a lot of exceptionally flavorful virginia goodness that mixes perfectly with the perique. Now, when perique is used as a condiment it tends to taste either like peppers or stewed fruit (raising or figs are the most common comparisons I've heard). In Redwood, it definitely tends toward the fruity end of the spectrum, which adds both another layer of sweetness and a hint of saltiness that comes and goes at just the right moments.

Interestingly enough, Redwood has a four-star room note, which just goes to show you don't have to drown good leaf in syrup just to allow non-smokers to sleep in the same house where your pipe has been smoked today. In fact, my wife prefers the scent of Redwood over virtually anything else I smoke, aromatic or not.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
REDWOOD
First off, here is the tin description: "A mixture for Virginia lovers!
Well...Virginia IS for lovers.
vifl.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Redwood used to be a favorite, and it aged well, too. I bought a 4 oz bag that was on consignment a couple of years ago, but it suffered rather than gained aged in the bag. But I've get to give it a good try as its bitey, but the other batches I've had have smoked more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.