PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
One of them, Frog Morton is probably familiar to most of you. I have never tried it because I don't like the taste of McClellend's Cyprian Latakia. The taste was here, but somehow changed, by casing or just blending. Very nice indeed! Glad I got a big can. Will be smoking a lot of it. The other tobacco is McClelland's black shag. Something I could never find as a teenage pipesmoker and Sherlock fan. I got it out of curiosity, expecting it to be awful. The surprise is, the stuff is quite good. I gave some with a Bambu to a cigarette smoking friend yesterday, and she reports that it is a bit stronger than her American Spirit filters, but very good. It has a mild taste to a pipesmoker, and enjoyable but subtle flavor. Also a fine white ash.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I'm about to give the original Frog Morton my first attempt as well. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I do like FM but I prefer FM on the Town

I picked up a tin of black shag at the b&m last week, its dated '10, I haven't opened it yet

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I'm sooo hooked on Cellar. It tastes even better than it smells.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Six months ago I tried the frog Morton cellar with the bourbon stick in it and I didn't care for it
Now with so many more tins if different tobaccos under my belt maybe I should give one if these a try again

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
I find this Frog Morton blend very intersting from what I've read on here . I'm gonna have to get me some of this pond stuff on my next order & give it a try.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I trust William Serad's palate implicitly, and his take on the Frogs was that McClelland had taken the (unique among blenders) step of giving the latakia a cavendish treatment. This gives the latakia a truly unique flavor and a subtle sweetness that, in my opinion, distinguishes the FM series from anything else.
I will say, though, that by chance I happened to be smoking FM on the Town at the same time as I was trying a tin of SG's Perfection. And they were far more alike than I would have ever expected. (Perfection is an English mixture with the addition of a very light vanilla flavor.) Perfection is less sweet and more straightforward "tobacco-y" -- and I actually prefer FMotT -- but the blends are like brothers.
Bob

Jul 12, 2011
For me it is Frog Morton on the Bayou...outstanding blend IMHO
From the tin:
When vacationing on placid waters of the Bayou,

Frog Morton prefers this rich Balkan blend, to which

he adds just enough precious Louisiana Perique.

Smooth and dark and calming, a relaxing Balkan Blend
Country of Origin: US

Curing Group: Fire Cured

Contents:

Virginia

Latakia

Perique

Turkish
I have a few tins of cellar...just waiting perhaps another 6 months,

but since all the great reviews, another one I'm gonna have to pop

open sooner than expected ;-)

Status