PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
When I got back into smoking a pipe 3 months ago I had no interest in a Corn Cob and did not thing I wanted any pipe with a filter. After reading many comments here about the Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe, I decide to go to my local drug store and buy one. So what have I learned???
1) It's the best smoking pipe I own. I seldom have any issue getting it to smoke to the bottom.
2) I like the Dr Grabow paper filters. For me it keeps the baccy from getting wet with drool. Hence... smoke to the bottom.
The things one learns.
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The cob's very light weight makes it perfect for clenching (holding in your mouth) as you go about your tasks.

If you have a few favorite MM cobs, consider providing them with Forever stems from Walker Briar Works. These

run about $24. They do not use filters even when they replace the stem on a filter pipe, so you would have

to keep some regular stems (or stems with pipes) for filtered smoking. But the Forever stems give you the

experience of smoking a high quality pipe while having all the benefits of a cob. Some people report cobs

wearing out, but I've had several for years, and they show little wear other than a bit of charring at the brim.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I just ordered 4 Corncobs just to dry different tobacco in but after reading this post I am kind of excited to try them out!

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Kent, what are the dimensions on those stems? I must be blind but I can not find info on how long they are.

nismo270r

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
Northern KY
I've also been enjoying my cobs lately. They're a great cool smoke, lightweight, and easy to maintain. I do need to pick up a couple forever stems though, as going filterless would be nice. Currently, I use the 6mm Savinelli balsa filters in them. I did find that taking a small rounded file to the inside of the shank when they're new and cleaning up any stray splinters seemed to help keep it a bit drier on the inside.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Kent, what are the dimensions on those stems? I must be blind but I can not find info on how long they are.
click on the one you like and scroll to the bottom for the description, they are different depending on style

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Just ordered 2 forever stems as I chew the regular stems up to fast. A 2 3/4 regular stem and a nose warmer, if I like them I will order a rose nosewarmer and a green stone churchwarden in Lucite. The only part for me is the only local shop that carries MM up here only carry the Missouri pride model... $3.99 on the web site and 12.99 at the shop. This means me ordering online, just ordered 2 diplomats from 4noggins.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
It's hard to beat a corn cob, especially for the price. In my neck of the woods a cob costs about the same as a decent cigar. And, they give a great smoke. When they are still somewhat new, there's a bit of corn taste that comes through that pairs exceptionally well with codger burley. The Country Gentleman is my favorite even though I'm neither from the country nor a gentleman.
I've opted for some forever stems and like them very much. Yes, it seems a bit silly to spend $20 for a stem for a $10 pipe, but if the cob does not last I can always put the stem on the next one. A better stem does make for a more comfortable smoke.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cobs are great smokers!
The Country Gentlemen is also one of my favorites.
Recently I acquired 3 more from P&C along with a couple ounces of Classic Burley Cake

in a sampler they called "Corn in the USA" ... good deal and CBC is TASTY!
Happy Smokin' :puffy:

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
Here is what I have been getting for my cobs, they are a little cheaper than others but I really enjoy them.
Cob Stems
Kent, thanks for the great Link. blueeyedogre, I have the same problem with chewing the stems, I already destroyed one of them! :laughat:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
After smoking for over a decade, cobs have become my favorite pipes. I always thought that briars are classy, and they are, but cobs smoke better and are dirt cheap. Last weekend I almost bit on a $500 Rolando Negoita estate, which did strange and wonderful things to my heart. But in the end I just couldn't justify the money. That's 10 lbs of bulks that I love and 50 more cobs. My only problem with cobs are the small bowls. But if I'm smoking with proper smoking technique, especially rate, I can get about an hour from loose tobacco in a Diplomat, and that's a winner.
Go cobs!

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
What do you use to clean a corn cob other than a dry cleaner after each smoke - anything after about 20 smokes ?

isopropyl doesnt sound good.
thanks

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Have folks - thanks for keeping this posting so interesting. For those of you that wrote about bite through the thin stems of the corn cobs, check out my posting Where the Rubber meets the Teethand scroll to what Kashmir stated. I bought some and it works great. The other rubbers tips that I bought were too big, but the surgical fit great. I got a small piece from my local Ace Hardware.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
It amazing how good cobs are. When I first started I was like you were, I didn't want one. But after seeing so many seasoned pipers praising them, I broke down and got one. I have two now, one with a Walker Briar Works 8 inch Churchwarden Forever Stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.