PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yllwbeard

Lurker
Nov 23, 2014
Hello everyone, Im new to pipe smoking and recently picked up a few estate pipes while in Naples and Athens. I really have no idea of what to look for when searching for vintage and estate pipes so I would really appreciate some tips and info on the ones I have provided pictures of. Also what are some good starter tobaccos?
Thanks, yllwbeard
west2_zpsf4a8e6c2.jpg
[/URL][/img]

yllwbeard

Lurker
Nov 23, 2014
Also what is the best way to clean a vintage/estate pipe? Should I clean the bowl as well as the stem?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome to the forum! There's a ton of information on cleaning and care of pipes here--

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/forum/pipe-repair-and-maintenance

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. ejames gave you good info on cleaning. Pipe cleaners are a cheap investment that will keep your pipe smoking well. You can never have enough pipe cleaners.

Now tobaccos. It seems like everyone recommends 1Q as a starter because it is generally available everywhere, albeit under different stores names, and Prince albert is a good practice blend to get your packing, lighting and puffing skills up to scratch.

If you can get to a real pipe tobacco retailer then I suggest going and speaking with the owner who can make suggestions. Failing that visit some of the sponsors site on the left hand side of this page and check out their samples pack offerings.

Visit the reviews here and on tobaccoreviews.com for some ideas; and always feel free to ask the members here about anything. There is a vast amount of knowledge with this group and we love giving advice- solicited or not.

Enjoy your time here and journey with the hobby.

yllwbeard

Lurker
Nov 23, 2014
Thank you for the response! I am studying in Rome until mid December and there is one store here called Fincato that i go to when I want to buy some Cuban cigars. They have a collection of over 500 vintage pipes and over 100 pipe tobaccos so I am sure I will find what i am looking for there!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome on board yllwbeard! +1 the above and the use of invaluable tools like YouTube and the learning aids on here (see the vertical entries on the LHS of the page and the beginners forum). There is a combination of 100s of years of pipe experience on PM.com and a wide range of interests but - in the end - pipe smoking is an individual pastime; it's all about what works for you. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com is a fantastic site to find out more about blends, but be aware that the reviews are variable in quality. Stick with highly rated reviewers (you can search by a range of factors, including user) like jiminks, DK, pipestud and you'll learn an enormous amount. Enjoy!
Andy

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
One of the best tips you'll get is about breaking your 'estate' down for cleaning. Put it in the freezer first for a few minutes...but, not right after you have smoked it...always allow your pipe to cool before EVER attempting to remove the stem. I see you 'caught' a Butz Choquin in your hunt. One of my favorite and best smoking pipes is by Butz Choquin.

Happy smokes!

mike

yllwbeard

Lurker
Nov 23, 2014
Thanks for all the info gentlemen! Its nice to have such easy access to all this pipe knowledge. The Butz Choquin only cost me about 6 dollars so im hoping I did well with that one, just need to clean it up. Till next time.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If I was new to pipes and wanted to go shopping, I'd do a bit of reading online to find certain brands that are reputable first, and so armed, select what I wanted.
But sizing up a pipe of any kind is not that hard:
1. Insert a cleaner into the bowl; drilling should be dead-center and at the bottom of the bowl. My standard is that a cleaner must pass from the stem to the bowl so that if I have created a restricted airway with a flaw in packing, I can almost always correct it. Bents usually won't pass a cleaner due to the offset in drilling between the shank and the bowl. I only smoke straights.

2. Check the mortise/tenon junction. You should have confidence that the length of the tenon will guarantee that the connection will hold. It shouldn't be so tight that it squeaks when you turn it in the mortise; on the other hand the tenon shouldn't be so loose that slight finger pressure is enough to turn it. There are a lot of opinions and standards as regards the length of the tenon, but to me the standard that it should abut the far wall of the mortise is the best. But you will find a lot of variation in this; in my opinion this is where a lot of makers cut corners. But think of it; the airflow inside the pipe is very important, and the spot where that airflow is impacted the most is at the junction.

3. Button (the very tip of the stem). You will find that pipes that begin to get costly and those that are have some to a great deal of shaping. $100.00 new pipes and less have very little care as regard this. Just be sure that the opening seems to you to allow airflow moderately. Small files can open the button on most pipes where it is restricted. Just be sure that the opening is not so small that you can't even insert the file.

4. Any kind of degradation that you can find in the bowl means it should be rejected. Look for shallow divots, known as soft spots; spider-webbing (please look that up); also bowls that are out of round or "fully enjoyed," that look like they have had they bejeesus smoked out of them. But even a heavily-used pipe can smoke fine for years; pipes last a long time.

5. If the pipe looks beaten up or otherwise mistreated/heavily-used, it can still be fine, but even though you may pay very little for it, you probably won't want to use it in this condition, being an eyesore; which means you have another cost for the restoration.

Status
Not open for further replies.