PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Took the wife to an antique shopping district. These found me.

Two pipes found me and begged me to bring them home and care for them.
First pipe. I paid $7.50 for it. It's stamped:

Linkman's Hollycourt Special Imported Briar

Pat. 2073668

Second Pipe: I paid $30 for this one.

Continental

di

Mauro Armellini

I'll post better pictures tomorrow.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Two of my favorite pipes were cheap antique shop purchases and refurbishes. Love finding stuff like that. Those look like great finds in excellent condition.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Great finds, like SSJones said, I would love to know now that Armellini found its way to an antique store, I bet it had an interesting journey.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Both very clean. Solid pipes…congrats on the great finds!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Nice! Does the stinger on the Hollycourt have threads closer to the stem or closer to the bowl?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Both pipes have been given the salt and Everclear treatment. Eithe they were very well taken care of or seldom smoked because neither had a lot of cake built up. No reaming was necessary. A pipe cleaner passed easy through the Linkman

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Just gave the stems on both a second cleaning and will let them air out until tomorrow afternoon. Definitely lighting them up tomorrow. Going to break them in with some Carter Hall I think.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I found a website for Armellini pipes and emailed them a photo of the pipe and the stamp on the bottom. Got a reply this morning...
"prejudice and 'a trumpet pipe produced in the 70s original mauro armellini with scolino condensate, a good pipe. vilma"

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Pappymac, Based on the location of the threads, I would say your pipe is post-WWII. They are good smokers, and seem to have been considered by Linkman's a higher grade than Grabows.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Buroak - That's interesting. I was told that it was probably pre-WWII because it didn't have any Dr. Grabow markings on it. From what I read they stopped using Linkman on the pipes around 1943 - 44.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Buroak - That's interesting. I was told that it was probably pre-WWII because it didn't have any Dr. Grabow markings on it. From what I read they stopped using Linkman on the pipes around 1943 - 44.
I will have to do some checking. My understanding is that the Linkman's name stayed on the Hollycourt, but dropped from the Grabows. I do remember WWII ads letting people know that the Hollycourt would be returning. I suspect it was too metal-intensive to be made during the war.

Status
Not open for further replies.