PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
A while back I posted that I would be working on a review of currently available "Old Boy" knock-offs. Well, you can't really do that unless you can compare the knockoff to the original. Last week I had the good fortune to finally find a Dunhill Unique butane lighter at a reasonable price:
_MG_3750_500p_1-vi.jpg
Dunhill Unique Butane Lighter
That's the original. Not a pristine copy, but a nice, silver-plated example.
I can move forward with my comparisons now, although it will probably take me until some time this summer, when my work slows to a trickle and I have time to run some tests on butane volume and flame adjustment. As of now, I can tell you that the IM Corona Old Boy is a damned-near exact copy. There are a few glaring differences, like the fact that the Dunhill original lacks an integral tamper, and the IM Corona Old Boy isn't silver-plated, but the dimensions and build quality are very close.
_MG_3751_500p-vi.jpg
IM Corona Old Boy Butane Lighter
This will be fun!

Reactions: BenMN

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Excellent concept, and great execution on the photos. (not that it was difficult for you to take classy product shots). It may help me, over time, understand why my Xicar knock off blows, but my Kiribi copy is a gem. Here I am talking getting the lighter lit consistently on the first try.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
thats one heck of a find. Id be interested in this review as I have the Peterson old boy in silver!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thanks, John. These were just quick shots with a swath of background cloth thrown over my desk chair and one flash. The two Old Boy knock-offs that you have... got links for them?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If I have time tomorrow. (No lighting for decent night time shots indoors here now) I may have one up on Imgur....
And, John, that's one of the ones over which I drool.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This shot I took some time ago, of the Kiribi Old Boy. It's covered in fine Corinthian leather.....
hbGiA1v.jpg

And, hey, what about some of those tins in the shot!! Couldn't have planned it better for this thread.

Reactions: woodsroad
Jun 27, 2016
woodsroad will you be taking them apart to look at the tanks etc?
I would guess that the Dunhill would be better in all areas than the IMCs or the Petes, but has it been sitting or running? 90deg flame?
I know that the Kiribis have a plastic tank, but people seem to have good luck with them, so the internals are probably better than the cheapest "knock-off" Old Boy style lighters.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Folks, I'm talking CHEAP knock-offs. The ebay/Amazon $20 lighters. I don't have the resources to buy every quality lighter that looks somewhat like the Dunhill!
And those are some nice pix, John and John.

Jun 27, 2016
You already have the quality knock-off in the IMC, and the cheapest ones are a waste of money due to cheap internals. Although if the Dunhill is not an angled flame, I'd say that you wasted your money on that one too.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Although if the Dunhill is not an angled flame, I'd say that you wasted your money on that one too.
Whaaaaa? Some of us think a flame angler is both unnecessary and a waste of mechanics and weight.

Jun 27, 2016
oldgeezersmoker

Colibri Old Boy? In an IM Corona box?

That looks like an IMC to me. Colibri has done them too, but even the non-kickstarts look a little different.
jpmcwjr
Whaaaaa? Some of us think a flame angler is both unnecessary and a waste of mechanics and weight.

Agreed, but the nozzle under the snuffer cap is the only difference between the pipe flame and standard Old Boys, no extra mechanics or weight involved with these. Now if you're talking about the mechanics of actually using it for a pipe, I'd say that the angled flame is the way to go, and that the standard flame is not as good.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Colibri Old Boy? In an IM Corona box?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Oldgeezer in with the sharp eye.

My bad. That's what you get for trying to do five things at once. yes, it's an IM Corona, not a Colibri. I'll see if one of the mods can make the change in my OP.
Al?

Jun 27, 2016
So what are they? Pipe flame or standard? Is the Dunhill actually a petrol lighter with a wick? I've seen those too.

:puffpipe:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Both the Corona and the Dunhill are gas lighters. The Corona has an right-angle (side exit port) flame and the Dunhill is a standard (top exit) flame. The side exit pipe lighter thing is a gimmick, as far as I'm concerned. No harm, no gain, but not necessary. My right wrist has had plenty of exercise over the years and works just fine. I can turn the lighter 90º in about 2/10 of a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.