Tags:  No tags yet. 

Two of My Favorites Moldy

(51 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by theediabeticman
  • Latest reply from jefff
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

theediabeticman

Login to Send PM

Let me start by saying I work at small shop and pushed really hard to get C&D Blends in my shop. Also Five O'Clock Shadow and Kajun Kake are two of my top ten blends. The staff at C&D has been magnificent dealing with my inquiries (whether personal or business).
    I want you all to know that I have found mold in my personal tins. The Kajun Kake was tinned in June and September of 2014; as well as June 2015. The Five O'clock Shadow was from February 2014.
    My friends/customers have also found mold in Kajun Kake from December 2015, Bijou from April 2016, Five O'clock Shadow from December 2014, Sunday Picnic, and of course the recalled Carolina Small Batch.
    I love Kajun Kake and Five O'clock Shadow; and truly have enjoyed Bijou...but if y'all cellar like I do, I wanted you to at least check the tins with the dates I've listed above. Idk the cause, but I hope it's fixed soon. Would love to feel "safe" cellaring these blends again (opened all my jars of these blends and am thinking I should open all my Pease and C&D blends)...I really hope an explanation can be given to put my mind at ease.
    Have a good day guys

Inspirational quote to be inserted during an inspirational moment
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

They issued a total recall for one of the small batch blends they made for SPC because of mold. I think it was the pure Virginia batch.

Based on your experience, it sounds like their problem isn't limited to that one blend. I would recommend people open their tins and check for mold and if they are mold free you can cellar it in a mason jar.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shit. Most of my cellar is C&D or GLP and I really don't want to open each and every one of them. I've never had a problem personally but this is primarily what I was stocking up on before tobaccopocalypse. My worry though is opening a tin 5 or 10 years down the road and the company policies for returning them is not the same..

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Posted a thread last week about moldy Bijou. Sounds like a red Virginia mold issue. The guys at SPC gratiously replaced my tin though.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry to hear about the mold. I don't buy C&D, but I do buy Pease, and this really worries me. I don't think I will be buying any more from either line as I don't need the problem and there are other choices of make that I like. While I appreciate C&D's commitment to keeping their product natural, these sorts of reports leave me with the view that they don't know how to do that consistently. That leaves buying their output something of a gamble.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Son, tobacco smoke will kill you long before a little mold will.

Just smoke it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just checked and I have 40 tins of C&D blends and 12 lbs of bulk. I just checked the mason jars and no mold that I can see on the bulk blends. My tin of Bijou is dated 04/2016 and I have not opened it and it's to much trouble to jar the 40 tins so I will take my chances. What I can say is that I will not be buying any more of C&D blends, it's just not worth the risk. I have been buying to cellar for all the reasons previously discussed (FDA, etc,)and have thousands of dollars invested in this and since it will be years before I can get to all of it, no point again in taking a chance.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D Says they are only aware of this one tin having mold.

From the last thread about C&D mold. This response to me isn't valid as there are reports of moldy tins going back to 2013 at least. I'm not going to chance it and buy any products that they blend until this issue has been sorted out.
    https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cornell+and+diehl+mold
    A simply search shows this isn't a surprise and has been an ongoing thing.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn this is great. More C&D for me.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you listen to this week's radio 'cast' with Mike McNeil, he seems to allude to the improbability of conveying the art and mastery of tobacco within a brief period of time.
    Brian asked him if he was grooming and training someone to carry on the McLelland line of tobacco that only he and his wife have produced till now. He said that was an impossibility and that there is no one who could do what he does. I believe him.
    I thought about the relatively recent changes at C&D, and wondered if recent problems with their tobacco could be a result of inexperience?
    Whatever the reasons for this trend to mold...we, as loyal consumers, deserve to be apprised and appeased.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

More than half my cellar is GLP... and when Bijou came out, I bought one to try and then 5 more for aging. I know this is nothing compared to some of the Wallmart-sized cellars some of the fellers here have, but I just pray the mold-gods will stay away from here. I've NEVER had a moldy GLP tin, even several that were open for several years before being finished. And the open Bijou remains fine. Live and hope.

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Son, tobacco smoke will kill you long before a little mold will.

Just smoke it.

Keep telling yourself that.

Brian asked him if he was grooming and training someone to carry on the McLelland line of tobacco that only he and his wife have produced till now. He said that was an impossibility and that there is no one who could do what he does. I believe him.

Well, how did the McClellend's get their start? Not trolling you, I just don't have time to listen to the podcasts sadly.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One video I saw on a moldy batch of Kajun kake the guy got a replacement tin from the same lot and it was moldy too. I think lot numbers may help determining this. Also when did C&D switch ownership as they were having this problem with Subday picnic and Kajun kake back in 2013

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure how he got his start. There are two shows and they're basically monologues by Mr. McNeil. He's been around doing his thing and perfecting it for about 50 years. His wife is integral to their operation and his reputation for his own unique precision sounds legendary.
    Too bad you don't have time to listen. No car rides to work? I usually listen on Wed. mornings on replay.
    They're always available, so, you could find the time if you were so inclined.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are good molds and bad molds. Can a layman tell the difference? I love the molds that make my cheeses, and I don't think we'd have penicillin without it, but.....

I doubt very much that smoking a bit of tobacco that has had the mold scraped off (leaving some, that is) or the bits with mold thrown out, would be harmful much less fatal. Nor affect the taste of the tobacco.

But then, I am just blowing smoke at this. Does anyone really know?

Also does anyone know the threshold of moisture present to be conducive to growing mold?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am thankful that I haven't really gotten into C&D blends at all. I do have some GLP in the cellar, but mostly latakia blends. Something about C&D's ENORMOUS catalog has always put me off. I guess McClelland is no better in that regard. It seems like most tobacco companies could eliminate 80% of their offerings and just focus on a few really good blends that they make. Unfortunately for those who like variety, that might be exactly the way things look in a few years.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shit. Most of my cellar is C&D or GLP and I really don't want to open each and every one of them. I've never had a problem personally but this is primarily what I was stocking up on before tobaccopocalypse. My worry though is opening a tin 5 or 10 years down the road and the company policies for returning them is not the same..

Id suggest contacting the company and send it all back in exchange for fresh tins, if they issued a recall they should honor your request

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If your GL Pease is from before C&D took over blending it will be fine and probably quite collectable one day. I also wouldn't bother getting new tins until they've got this problem under control. For international customers it's not worth the risk especially as you could be hit with customs fees twice, once for the original tin then again for the replacement

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. tedswearingen

tedswearingen

Friend of Ours

Login to Send PM

All,

I've worked in the tobacco business for six years now. One thing I've learned is that there are manufacturing trade-offs. Some manufacturers are lauded for their very light hand with additives such as Propylene Glycol and mold inhibitors. Other manufacturers' heavy use of PG and other additives is decried. Cornell & Diehl is, of course, in that first camp. It also means that those manufacturers suffer more problems like these in general, in much the same way that fresh bread without preservatives will mold, but Twinkies and Ding Dongs have a very long shelf life.

Manufacturers create defective products. It is inevitable, and it ought to be expected and manageable. The rate at which a manufacturer does so create defective products, however, is key. Before Laudisi merged with Cornell & Diehl its product failure rate--of all sorts--was probably in the neighbor of one out of 3,000 units; and I say probably because there then didn't exist any real way to keep track of such things. Though it's not terrible, this isn't a great number, and it's a problem we intended to sort out as we merged our two companies Presently C&D's product failure rate across its entire line of products is in the neighborhood of 1 out of every 10,000 units, excluding Carolina Red Flake. We've done this by improving our staff's training, improving the sanitary conditions of the plant, upgrading our machinery, and, most recently, switching to a new mold inhibitor.

Historically, C&D used a mold inhibitor that worked particularly well for its Virginias but not so well with Burley and Perique. This is why, when those defective tins of C&D would crop up from, say, 2013, 2014, even 2015, it's been localized to products like Kajun Kake. The new mold inhibitor, which we switched to in mid-May of this year, covers a wider pH spectrum, and works well to protect more alkaline leaf components like Burley and Perique.

Carolina Red Flake was our first real run of product to use the new mold inhibitor. We learned something about the leaf and, subsequent to that, we learned something of our new mold inhibitor, and since then we've reformulated the application solution. To date we've had no reports of mold on any of our products made with the reformulated mold inhibitor. But I should be clear: there's no silver bullet solution. (q.v. the first sentence of the second paragraph of this post.)

For those customers sitting on moldy tins of Kajun Kake or Five O'Clock Shadow or other blends made before June, or made last year, or the year before, or back in Morganton before C&D and Laudisi merged—reach out to C&D and we'll work with you to make it right. In fact, if you ever have a problem our a question about a C&D product, whenever it was made, contact us.

As far as the concern about Bijou goes: as of this writing we know of exactly nine tins of Bijou that have been affected by mold. That's 0.35% of the production—higher than we'd like, but put into perspective, not as serious or wide spread a problem as perceived here and elsewhere across the popular online pipe tobacco forums. Likewise, if a rash of defective tins are concentrated with a certain very popular retailer with a vocal and visible customer base, the problem looks rather different than it actually is.

Everybody here at Laudisi and Cornell & Diehl is deeply disturbed at the notion that we sent out tobacco that didn't meet our standards for shelf life. But, as a manufacturer, it would it irresponsible on our part to assume that it's not going to happen. And so we're always working to improve our operation and the quality of our product. And, though there will always be work to be done, we're at least headed in the right direction.

But seriously. If you have a problem call us or email us and we will take care of you.

Superior Service, Superior Quality, Superior Pipes - http://www.smokingpipes.com
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nuff said...Thanks.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice to hear someone high up issue a statement and give some reassurance the problem is being looked at across the board

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very informative, Ted.

I am sure you can answer a question I posed: What is the humidity profile for moisture and mold growth? In other words, for example, mold is inhibited up to say 50% humidity @ 70º, increases in a bell shaped curve, and stops at 80%...

(I know you deal in moisture content, but conversion to RH at 70º would be useful as well.)

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

theediabeticman

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much Ted.

I would like to thank the C&D team for reflecting high morale character through this. The customer service has easily exceeded all of my expectations (not only with this but with inquiries and even surveys). I could go on and on with how impressed I've been, but I'll stop here. Thank you for this post. I also think a YT video would be great

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just saw a new video on YouTube of a guy showing off his mold on Kajun Kake (maybe that was the OP?) This really has me worried and I'm not likely gonna be purchasing anymore tins from them until they get a hold of this mold outbreak. I just bought the two new GL Pease and one of the cellar series and the tops are already buldging... is this a sign of mold??? Now I'm worried that they're all moldy and I don't really want to have to worry about this shit. I spend good money on tobacco, I don't want to be playing phone tag to try and figure out how I can get my moldy tobacco exchanged with mold-less tobacco.

I will say that I haven't had a problem with their bulk blends... so far.

Edit* It appears that this mold problem is spanning across a couple of years now too! I heard about past outbreaks but I thought this was just more of a recent problem.

I've thankfully just recently started to like C&D tobaccos so I don't have too many in my cellar but I would be pretty damn upset if I had a cellar full of moldy tobacco..

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. glpease

glpease

Lord Latakia

Login to Send PM

I just bought the two new GL Pease and one of the cellar series and the tops are already buldging... is this a sign of mold???

Overall, mold issues with my products have occurred at a very low rate, and I haven't seen any with the new blends, and I just checked by control samples. Tin bulging is usually a byproduct of fermentation, which is actually a good thing. If you open the tins and find mold, they will be replaced.

In light of some of the other posts in this thread, Ted pretty much beat me to it, but I have a couple things to say regarding my own products.

I know that the issue with Carolina Flake was painful for everyone concerned, both the customers and the manufacturer. Though I'm not involved in C&D's affairs other than as they concern my product, I do know this situation pretty intimately, and am confident that this particular problem has been addressed and solved, and was contained within that one product. It's unfortunate that it happened, but my hat is off for the way it has been handled. In the past, it would have been a "replace as it comes up" response; the fact that C&D did a complete recall on the product is, as far as I know, unprecedented in the industry.

Prior to the merger, I worked closely with C&D to establish quality control procedures that would minimize mold issues. It's not an easy thing to do, given our combined dedication to maintaining the purest possible product consistent with mold control. But, mold spores are everywhere, and any product with sufficient moisture and something the fungi like to eat will, if not treated, is subject to occasional germination of those spores and the resultant furry infestation of full grown "adult" mold.

Years ago, we went to the industry to discuss options. Everything that we have ever tested has been a food-grade product, and safe to use in our application. I did controlled experiments to find the minimum application rates for different products at different moisture and pH levels. As a result, mold issues, at least within the GLPease catalogue, all but disappeared. (BTW the poorest performance was found in the often lauded "vinegar" solution. Vinegar in this application is absolutely NOT an effective fungistatic, evidenced by a whole mess of very fuzzy and stinky samples in my experimental batches.) We still had the occasional problem, but it was always isolated cases.

Blends with large percentages of perique, especially, are more challenging. Perique is a very wet tobacco, and quite biologically active because of its processing. Once exposed to air, it can sprout mold within weeks, or even days, depending on environmental conditions. Burleys, too, can be tricky because of the leaf's higher pH than flue-cured leaf; most fungistatics are most effective at low concentrations under a fairly narrow range of acidic pH. So, despite our efforts, some of the C&D blends were still prone to mold occasionally. R&D continued.

After the merger, C&D began further refinement of quality control procedures, and I can honestly say that the product they are making today has improved in almost every respect. Consistency of cut, moisture, and packaging is better today than it's ever been, largely thanks to Jeremy's willingness to work diligently towards improved production methods. The Carolina Flake tragedy (and it really is one, since that leaf is special) was a glitch in the system. Sure, it would have been nice if it had never happened, but it did, and was handled very professionally. And it won't happen again.

All that to say that I'm happier than ever with my relationship with C&D. We work closely together, and I'm confident in the quality of the product they produce under my label.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There seem to be some pretty gross overstatements and overreactions here from some members of our little isolated Island of Misfit Toys.

Thanks for the response, Ted. A current 1 out of 10,000 seems like a reasonable rate of failure for an as-natural-as-possible product and it seems like a proactive approach to the problem coupled with a bulletproof return policy is in place. More than good enough for me.

The moldy sky isn't falling.

Edit: Also, thanks Mr. Pease. I see you just added your insight as well. Appreciate it.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. tedswearingen

tedswearingen

Friend of Ours

Login to Send PM

jpmcwjr, that's a great question. I don't think I can provide a satisfying or complete answer without a laboratory, a chemist, and a research analyst. (Not to be glib, rather I'm being totally sincere!) Every blend is different. Every batch is different, particularly keeping in mind that crops very from year to year, and then leaf components can change in a blend, and then there's the hundreds of species of mold spores that are all around us at all times; it's just a lot of data to gather and then a huge number to crunch. The bottomline is that the more moist a tobacco is, and the more heat it's exposed to, and the fewer preservatives it's treated with, increases the likelihood that mold spores will sprout.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, thanks, Ted. Yes, I realize there are a zillion variables, but I was hoping you or someone reading this could come up with ball park numbers.

I will disagree with a statement or two- the moister, the more likely mold will grow: storing it in water will inhibit such! Same with heat, beyond a certain temp, mold won't grow. OK, enough silliness here.

And I just saw Greg's post, very welcome indeed.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There seem to be some pretty gross overstatements and overreactions here from some members of our little isolated Island of Misfit Toys.

Thank heavens that's the first time that's ever happened!

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. glpease

glpease

Lord Latakia

Login to Send PM

I am sure you can answer a question I posed: What is the humidity profile for moisture and mold growth? In other words, for example, mold is inhibited up to say 50% humidity @ 70º, increases in a bell shaped curve, and stops at 80%...

(I know you deal in moisture content, but conversion to RH at 70º would be useful as well.)

There's some correlation between moisture content by weight and RH, but it is dependent on leaf type, so it's not especially accurate or entirely reliable. However, RH in the 65-70% range will generally correspond to MBW in the range we're interested in.

As to mold germination as a function of MBW, that's also a tough one. Most fungi require a water activity of at least 0.7. Water activity is related to moisture content non-linearly, and is dependent on many factors, like how much of the water is bound vs. free. Fungi won't usually grow on tobacco with MBW of 10% or less, but that would be very dry and frangible - not ideal for a good smoking experience. Sugars tend to bind water, so sweeter tobaccos can have a higher MBW while also having a lower water activity, which is another reason low-sugar tobaccos like burley and perique are more prone to mold at lower moisture levels.

In other words, every leaf type, and therefore every blend would have a different curve, and those curves would be skewed by different flavorings and types and concentrations of fungistatics, which is why finding minimum application rates can be frustrating. And, those curves wouldn't be normal, but rather some non-linear function of moisture content.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, that does it for me! No more questions on this by me, and I thank you for your explanations! Guess I was seeking a fairly simple answer to a very complex question.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Ted and Greg! Stating facts of life, backed up with some good ole' Capitalism.

If you guys still want to boycott, I don't expect to find "Sold Out" on anymore one shots.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not boycotting, I'm waiting for them to get their new microbacterial process in place. I'm also wary of the tins that are still out there, plus having to pay customs fees twice if I happen to get a moldy tin. Also some of the tins have gotten moldy after being opened.
    It looks like from this video there's certain batches that should be recalled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzyMZmMcS2s

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ted and Greg:

Wonderful responses from a couple of stand up guys. Thank you, gentlemen.

PSTom, I'm going to side with Andy here. I've lived abroad and customs fees suck. If you have to pay them twice then it really sucks the high hard one.

Laudisi and GLP will be around long after I'm gone. Until then, if I ever pop a tin gone to seed then I know a replacement, plus something else, will be in the mail to me to compensate for aggravation and return mailing fees. That's what class companies do and I would expect nothing less from them. But, I live in the States. Overseas mailing fees and duty charges open up a drain on the corporate checkbook so Andy is quite right in expressing his concerns.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 2 years ago #
  35. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have any of the blends that have been impacted by these mold issues, and I haven't really seen many pictures or video's showing off the mold issue in question; but I'm hoping that everyone that thinks they found mold on their tobacco knows the difference between mold and plume/bloom. I saw a guy on IG post a short video clip and in the video the mold in question looked like some plume/bloom in the video. Without seeing it close up and in person its hard for me to say it wasn't mold, but it looked more like plume/bloom to me.

I've seen many times newer cigar smokers toss cigars that had plume/bloom on the cigar thinking it was mold; not knowing the difference. I know there are a lot of newer pipe smokers, and some that never smoked cigars, and may not know what plume/bloom is. My only advice is to learn the difference between plume/bloom and mold and be certain that what you're seeing is in fact mold.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Ted and Greg, we really appreciate your answers. Thank you very much.

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  37. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 with all the grateful thanks to Ted and Greg. I am ALWAYS humbled and appreciative of their willingness to share things from their perspective that most consumers never get to know in the rest of the world. When people like Ted and Greg and Russ and the SToP guys etc. can come to the forum and participate and enlighten, it's just another evidence of the splendid nature of the Pipe World and its inhabitants! Thanks to all!! (And I'm much less worried now about the many wonderful products in my cellar!)

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. swb118

swb118

Login to Send PM

[/Son, tobacco smoke will kill you long before a little mold will.

Just smoke it. ]

Do you want Zombies? Because this is how you get Zombies.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is the nature of newly developed anti fungal agents?

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Had one problem with mold in C&D tobacco. If I remember correctly, it was in some Izmir blending tobacco, I picked out the offending leaf, and expected the mold spores to remain and infect the rest, but it didn't seem to happen. Still, I think out of caution, I eventually threw out the small amount, and much later ordered some more that has no problem. C&D is hand blended, so probably the conditions vary a lot. On the other hand, I've ordered C&D blends over years, and there was only the one incident for me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I may have some effected blends. I won't know for years.

If in 2022 I open a moldy tin, I will sigh... And then toss it and open another.

Perspective is everything.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not boycotting, I'm waiting for them to get their new microbacterial process in place. I'm also wary of the tins that are still out there, plus having to pay customs fees twice if I happen to get a moldy tin. Also some of the tins have gotten moldy after being opened.
    It looks like from this video there's certain batches that should be recalled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzyMZmMcS2s

Yup, that's the video I was talking about. C&D replaced his tin and his replacement tin was full of moldy tobacco. I'll be staying away for awhile.

I don't have any of the blends that have been impacted by these mold issues, and I haven't really seen many pictures or video's showing off the mold issue in question; but I'm hoping that everyone that thinks they found mold on their tobacco knows the difference between mold and plume/bloom. I saw a guy on IG post a short video clip and in the video the mold in question looked like some plume/bloom in the video. Without seeing it close up and in person its hard for me to say it wasn't mold, but it looked more like plume/bloom to me.

I didn't even really consider this but I bet you're absolutely right. I'm sure a lot of newer folks think they have mold on their tobacco when it's really just a wonderfully aged leaf.

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I may have some effected blends. I won't know for years.

If in 2022 I open a moldy tin, I will sigh... And then toss it and open another.

Perspective is everything.

That's kind of where my worry lies. If I buy tinned tobacco, it's usually to age them, and I don't plan on opening a lot of these tins for 10-15 years from now. Who knows where C&D will be by then (hopefully still around) but I will assume if it's moldy 15 years from now I'll just accept it as a loss.

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. tmb152

tmb152

Login to Send PM

Mold spores are everywhere. What mostly determines growth is moisture content and temperature. Keep your stuff on the dryer side, keep it as cool as possible and you greatly lower the chance for mold growth. Your cellar should be dry. If bought in tins, you have the choice of opening, checking and altering as needed, then moving to jars. At least with jars you can "look in." As to the dangers of mold, some molds can produce highly potent toxins. Rye mold (ergot fungus) causes hallucinations and severe bodily effects. That is where LSD comes from. It only takes a few dozen micrograms of ergotomine tartrate to give you a "trip." I would take mold seriously. If you find moldy tobacco, throw it out, unless someone possitively determines that the fungus on tobacco is fairly benign. Anything with a strong blue or green or red color, that is a sign of it being very dangerous. Chances are that even in other parts of the jar/container not visibly affected, the spores are present there as well. You are playing with fire handling or smoking anything that has been contaminated by mold. Your best bet is to keep small quantities in individual containers so that if contaminated, you risk losing little, and if one jar goes bad in a blend, that is a good sign to open all the others, inspect them and let them dry out a bit.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D is making it right everywhere. Hail to them... that's a difficult business decision but I think they made the right call, and in celebration of that, I plan to order plenty of their tobacco to offset the loss. TAD rules me!

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  46. fishingandpipes

fishingandpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's awesome how C&D/SPC is handling this, and the responses from Ted and GLP bring much respect.

I'm curious to know though - my impression is that blenders like Sam Gawith primarily use water as an additive, and I don't think there's much else in the way of PG or fungicides or what else have you. Am I wrong about this? Why have I never had SG blends go bad despite how wet they are? I would think I would have run across a moldy can or box here or there, but the only mold I've ever gotten was a long time ago from a can of Kajun Kake, maybe back in 2006?

I'm not trying to cast aspersions at all, I just always assumed that blends as wet as SG would should mold like the dickens given the moisture content, and wondering what's in the stuff that it doesn't. Maybe they do and I've just been lucky.

I guess talking %s, it's rare enough that I just haven't had it happen to other cans (including C&D), but when it did happen, it was C&D. I seem to recall that when they first launched that blend it wasn't unheard of, perhaps due to what GLP said above re: perique.

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They at the very least use less PG than certain commercial blends, not to mention less of other unknown substances.

If they'd just send me all of their Burley Flake #1 I'd be very happy!

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FishingandPipes: It hasn't happened to me, but I remember one guy getting a tin of St. James Flake and it had mold. I've seen a Dunhill tin with mold, too. Anything can happen, and given the large amounts of pipe tobaccos sold by various companies, the over all mold rate is very small by percentage.

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

About 15 years ago I had a moldy tin of Escudo. Other than that I have never found mold I any tobacco.

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Moldy tobacco is something I hadn't even considered until the red cake disaster. I'm a newbie and have been reading on this site for 2 years.
    I'd read about 'bloom' and seen some on samples sent to me from members.
    I hadn't even give mold a thought. That's what I pay the blender to do.
    Sure, I want a natural product free of additives, and I know that this can lead to product failure through natural causes.
    I would expect nothing less than a refund AND an explanation.
    Repeat sales is what producers are in business to accomplish.
    I've only got a few tins in my cellar and most of those came from C&D.
    I've also got a few lbs of their bulk.
    I guess I'll be on the look out for mold now. sheesh. I didn't sign up for THIS.

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have relatively small amount of C&D in my cellar and a bit more GLP but that is because I mostly prefer other blenders.

Having said that, the mold issue will not keep me from continuing to buy and cellar those blends I do like.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sumusfumus, buzkirk, odobenus, disinformatique, headhunter, donjgiles, ormazd, justanotherdude