PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Here are the two pipes I got during Pipes & Cigars' most recent sale. The first is the rather large Big Ben that I was so worried about the size of.
2015-06-20-091827-600x449.jpg

And this is the Stanwell Vario Straight Brandy.
2015-06-20-091928-600x449.jpg

The Big Ben, while NOT a clencher, is not as ridiculously large as I feared. It fits my hand well, holds a TON of tobacco and smokes fairly cool. What I don't like about it is that it doesn't really fit my pipe rest, so it's difficult to put it down between puffs, and it starts to gurgle about 10 minutes into a smoke. The full bent stem will absolutely not pass a pipecleaner, so I really hope that it will smoke dryer as it breaks in.
The Stanwell is my new favorite! It has smoked cool and dry from the beginning. No gurgle, but it passes a pipe cleaner easily if needed. I also love the way it looks. Doesn't show in the photo as well as I'd like, but the rusticated black and the smooth red make a really nice contrast.
Anyway, I'm very pleased with my purchased, so I thought I'd share.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Good to hear you are pleased with your new pipes. They're a couple good looking pipes for sure. Enjoy.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Have you tried when cold to separate stem from pipe and then use pipe cleaner in each part then

Reach stem leaving in pipe cleaner, if it works remove and try normally with slight bend in cleaner. Shel

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you can tame the gurgle in the Big Ben by adjusting the packing a little and doing some tamping. Most or many bent pipes don't take a pipe cleaner to the bowl, so that's not unusual. In many cases, this would be asking a piece of wire to make a ninety degree turn. Stanwells are just workhorse pipes, but pretty too. I bought two at once, which I rarely do, a brushed black Canadian and a brushed brown pot, the Sixten Iversson designed shape 86, and they are both primo smokers. Yours are a good pair and will give you years of enjoyment. P&C has some of the best deals in the pipe market. Their buyer is crazy-good.
Also, congratulations on buying a Dutch pipe, the Big Ben. These and Hilson are the major Dutch brands, and some Hilson were, I think, made in Belgium, so Big Ben is the sure bet for owning a Dutch pipe. This may seen academic to some, but for those of us who enjoy owning a wide representation of pipes of different nations, it's a plus. I've come pretty close, but never bought a Dutch pipe. I do, however, have a Greek pipe, an Amadeus.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Love my Stanwells and your's is a sweet looking example. Lately it has been Stanwell, Chacom, Comoy, and Savinelli for me. All seem to have no flaws, in terms of smoking/function. All are around $100 +/- and well worth the $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.