Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I can see how this can get addicting. After more than 25 years and getting back into the hobby again, I found myself ordering not one but two different pipes that appealed to me. I wasn't sure how to post the photos but have the links provided. Actually, the Winslow wasn't the exact one ordered but was identical except for color. Maybe I got the last one of that particular one. Is this a good start?
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=95184
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/winslow/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=101656

Jul 15, 2011
Nording pipes are of very high quality but his rustication style just does not appeal to me. Something about it just looks a little sloppy. Oh well. As far as actual briar and quality of pipe, yes, you are off to a very good start. May you enjoy them for many years to come!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Good choices indeed. Both good carvers. I like the look of that Winslow...
"Honey ?? Look what this guy just found.. do you think that... " I guess not.. :-(

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Long ago I had a Dr. Graybow and another drug store brand that escapes me at the moment(Medic?) and I new nothing of taking care of them other than sticking an occasional pipe cleaner in the stems. The bowl was left untouched. I smoked the same one each day many times a day. If there was a break in period, I knew nothing about that either. This place is a gold mine of information and I've spent hours this week looking over the various videos, links and past threads and it's been a real revelation. The sundry of pipe manufacturers and tobacco brands are staggering as is the various methods of how to clean your pipe.
This all reminds me of when I first started casting bullets. What I felt I knew from the early 70's about it and after a long period of getting away from it and started back about six months ago was like day and night. I found a cast bullet forum and was as in the dark there as I was when I joined here. I thought I knew the necessities until I joined that forum. In essence, I'm glad I found pipesmagazine.com and would still be at a loss for the most part had I not. Kudos to everyone for this vast knowledge and decades of experience that someone such as myself can glean so much information from. Hats off and salutations for Kevin for starting such a wonderfully enlightening website.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I just went to the mailbox and voila...the Nording Viking Partially Rusticated Bent Brandy(what a mouthful) came today. It's a beautiful(to me) pipe and lighter in weight than I expected and came in a nice Irish Green pouch. Now, if only I had some tobacco. None to be found around here close by so hopefully some will be in the mail soon-maybe tomorrow, hopefully. No instructions with it so, I suppose there's no particular breaking in period.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
From what I gleaned on the forum my short while here and in doing some research and picture gazing, they looked like a good choice for a beginner. I'm still trying to comprehend the difference between a $50-100 pipe and those that command a $500+ price tag.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Both great looking pipes. Winslow is a favorite of mine. I have four of them, a C a D and two E's. All smoke extremely cool and dry and I love his styling. I had a Nording years ago and it was a very nice smoking pipe. I am sure you will get years of smoking pleasure with your new toys...enjoy.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
There are some great looking smokers out there and I've been amazed at the brands and styles available. Back in the day there was mostly the Dr. Grabow's and Yellow Bowl types. Now with the advent of the Internet you can see and buy pipes from virtually anywhere in the world-as well as a smorgasbord of tobaccos. I think I'll need a few more anyway as to not smoke one or two to death...maybe a Luciano next time. I want to try some of the 1792 I've read about and Pease's Haddog Delight.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Wonderful pipes! Yes, pipe and tobacco purchases do become obsessive; very obsessive. I've got enough tobacco to last me 10 years and I can't stop wanting to try more. I think it would help to make a wish list of what I want to purchase and then use purchases from the wish list as rewards. What a enjoyable and relaxing hobby - pipe smoking! :puffpipe:

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I think this is all going to get me in trouble. so far I've ordered a variety of tobaccos...
Solani Aged Burley Flake #656

Cornell & Diehl "Bailey's Front Porch",Autumn Evening,Bayou Night & Burley Flake #3

Peter Stokkebye Black Currant Cavendish

Dunhill Tin - Royal Yacht

Haddo's Delight

Captain Black Regular

Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish

Quiet Nights
That should give enough variety to start:)

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Being a long time nicotine addict I figured I may need at least occasionally the Royal Yacht, 1792 or Haddo's Delight. This was the one reason I stopped the pipe years ago, I couldn't get the right "kick" from them with the available tobacco then that I could with a good ol' Marlboro.

Status
Not open for further replies.