PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
I just got the last of my first couple orders!
One came in a padded manilla envelope which was...... (drum roll)..... my JFH Middle Earth sample packs (I bought two because I didn't think one would have a sufficient amount) and my Wellington 3/4 bent paneled tulip. There is actually some really beautiful birds-eying in the panels on either side and excellent strait grain across the rim. I really don't know why they would have rusticated this wood. The stem is shaped like a P-lip, but it isn't routed like one and the air hole meets the bowl a little high. I'll try to save up some ash to make some pipe-mud if it doesn't smoke well. Also, it's not marked... anywhere. I'm a little confused by that.
And the Peterson Donegal 106 and Zippo set that my dad got me came in. I've already loaded up the Pete with some Treebeard, got it about halfway smoked before it got too windy and I came back in. Smokes well, but it whistles on the draw. Otherwise it's well built, light, and looks, in the immortal words of Wayne and Garth, "schwing!" I'll probably get bothered by the whistle eventually.. anyone know how to fix that?

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
I'll get up some picks of everything when I can get to some wifi on my personal laptop. I have to use a work computer to get online right now and I can't plug my camera into it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Usually with my pipes they only whistle a little when I've packed them too tight and the tobacco is too moist. Might give a try at drying out the tobacco a bit (maybe fill the bowl and wait thirty minutes or so before smoking) and packing it a little looser. I've heard good things about the Donegal series and to get a zippo to boot is awesome.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
Nope, it whistled right out of the box when it was empty too. Very strange, IMO.
Also, I decided to go for it and upload the pics from here. Will post as soon as they're up on photobucket!

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
Everything!

Pipes_all2.jpg

First up, the Peterson Donegal 106.

Pipes_peterson.jpg

I had another close-up, but it was blurry and I didn't realize it until I put everything away.
Next the Wellington 3/4 Bent Paneled Tulip. Check out the bird's eye in the panel there. I totally forgot to take a picture of the straight grain on top, but trust me - it's good. Will come back later with one if I remember.

Pipes_wellington.jpg

Pipes_wellingtonclose.jpg

The Savinelli Caramella 626. Only had one smoke out of it so far.

Pipes_savinelli.jpg

Pipes_savinelliclose.jpg

Mr Brog Army along with my "Little Italy" basket pipe. Both good smokers.

Pipes_broganditaly.jpg

All of my tobey and my churchwarden sticking out of my pouch. The larger bags in the back are the Altadis alcohol aro's, including one that was good enough to go into my pouch as a daily smoker.

Pipes_tobaccw.jpg

Aaaaand last, but not least, the Pete Zippo. Nice and shiny, with the Sav hanging out in front.

Pipes_lighter.jpg

There's your pictures!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
dam man im jealous, that is one fine couple a pipes u got there. Regardin the whistle, sometimes if i puff a little too aggressive with my 3 dot brigham it will whistle. Maybe try easin up a bit, may make all the diff. enjoy
BTW; How does that Brog Army perform, i have been looking at them latey and am curious.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
It pretty much whistles reguardless lol.. there seems to be a tiny bit of a lip at bottom of the bowl where the air hole hits, I might try to get at it with some sandpaper or something tomorrow.
The Brog is excellent. Just the right weight and bent enough to be a comfortable clencher, and it smokes like a charm. Never EVER gets hot, and the wind cap covers just enough to be effective but not snuff it out, and you can flip it out of the way easily enough if you don't need it. The bowl is a little more shallow than it seems, but that's fine, and it had a stinger. I gave it a shot in a couple bowls, but it clogged up on me so I threw it out. Nice open draw now. It's now a daily smoker, so I may need to get another so I can let it rest.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Great score. I especially like that Wellington, it is sweet! Congrats! :clap:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It pretty much whistles reguardless lol.. there seems to be a tiny bit of a lip at bottom of the bowl where the air hole hits, I might try to get at it with some sandpaper or something tomorrow.
If you are brave you might run a 5/32 or 4MM drill bit through the airway in the shank. Do it by hand and make darn certain the bit is in the airway when you drill or you will end up with an extra hole in your pipe. It's not unusual to see a bent pipe with an airhole that is a tad high.

I really like that Wellington! Most I have seen were smooth.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
DEFINITELY not brave enough to try that on a moving ship haha..
Anyway, here's the top of the Wellington.

Pipes_wellingtontop.jpg

Locked and loaded and ready to go! I'll be back inside in an hour ;)

Pipes_me.jpg

mrbrog

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2011
Congratds on your pipe collection, especially the Mr. Brogs ;-)

You sure know how to shoot photos.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Very nice collection there ! How's that 626 working out for you ? I have it in a Miele and it took me 4-5 bowls before I felt I got the hang of it. The first bowls were a constant relight for me.

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Awesome array of pipes you have there I really like the Savinelli Caramella, I love that rusticated look to it. Those tobaccos sure do look tasty :D

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
Mr. Brog, thanks for making such great inexpensive pipes. I'm definitely enjoying mine. In fact, I might go light up a bowl of Apple in it right now! I'd like to see how an Army briar would smoke ;)
The 626 has been a little finicky for me. Still only had 3 or 4 bowls out of it. I might end up putting a filter back in it - seems a little too open right now.
Thanks for the comments, all! I'm enjoying all of them very much =]

Status
Not open for further replies.