PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
2mos.and I've gone from one MM Legend to a collection of pipes including mostly aged Algerian or 'imported' briar, block meer, cherrywood, and two (early uninformed selections)artificials. I've got full bent, lovat, Canadian, Prince, Dublin, curved, smooth, sandblasted, round, oval, square stems. I've got a Kaywoodie, a Comoys, a couple LHS Purex, some no names, a couple Butz Choquin, a MM Freehand and yes, an estate Dunnie.
As for tobacco, I've been busy there too. I won't bore you, but with this week's delivery bringing me 9 new flavors, to go with 13 other blends I've acquired.
This new hobby has become somewhat of an obsession. It's awoken the consumer beast within.
Reading about other folks enjoyment on these forums has been insightful, warm and encouraging. That last part is where I need to begin to moderate from. I've been encouraged to over indulge in a very pleasant past time.
I feel like a gambler when I bid on ebay for something...I'm done there. I'm all out. My competitive nature is unsustainable as is my rate of pipes & tobacco acquisitions.
My favorite bathroom reading? P&C catalogs.

Ha ha ha ha, yeh, all of my P&C catalogs end up next to the toilet also.
This place can really exacerbate a a shaky financial situation. Between the puppy dog eyes of the B&M compelling me to throw money at him, and online vendors making me dig deeper with a mere suggestion that I might save measly 10-20%... sigh.

I've got 9 years worth of tobacco stock piled and more pipes than I can adequately break in, I keep wondering how I can entertain myself with the hobby without using my wallet. I guess there are guys out there that just smoke without all of the reading and buying... somewhere... ha ha.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
That's wonderful newbroom...now hopefully you can find a local pipe club and plan on attending a pipe show....there's a whole world out there that your just beginning to experience :) congrats and welcome

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I know that feeling. When I started, I only had one pipe and a couple crappy blends. After a few months on here I had enough pipes and tobacco to last an entire lifetime. Im still going strong and still learning something new every day off of this site. Glad you are enjoying it!

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I'm glad I don't possess the biggest Beginner PAD and TAD monster in my wallet. I am trying to keep my orders spaced to once a month. It's been two weeks and I am itching to press checkout on my shopping cart. It's all about the big X on the right upper corner of the screen. That button has saved me a lot of money. I've enjoyed reading your posts. It's been a great journey so far.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I've only been here a few weeks and my pipe and tobacco related knowledge has risen hugely.
Although I'm now beginning to wonder if I should delete my account before the PAD and TAD take a complete hold....or should I just surrender to the inevitable....???? :lol:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Although I'm now beginning to wonder if I should delete my account before the PAD and TAD take a complete hold....or should I just surrender to the inevitable....????
Surrender. You will not regret the decision.
This place is fun. I've learned a lot. I've definitely SPENT a lot. Which means that Kevin is doing well, and frankly so are we. I've had many very happy conversations with the other crazies here. Bradley keeps me well supplied with Cajun delicacies. I've shared pipes and tobaccos with other members here and have been the grateful beneficiary of some fine generosity here as well.

Cellaring is an ongoing process, though I've probably got enough to last me for a decade or so, so it's more about maintenance than acquisition.

I had a decent rotation before joining here, but PAD knows no limits. I've just slowed down the pace of buying to a stroll rather than a sprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.