PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have two Kaywoodie shape 51 billiards. One is a 3 hole stinger Relief Grain and the other is a 4 hole stinger Super Grain. The Kaywoodie sandblast isn't a stunning example of sandblasting IMHO. Not exactly J.T. Cooke like if you know what I mean. If the image shows up, you'll see what I mean. One of these pipes smokes like a briar dream. The other smokes so wet it's embarrassing. All things being equal, you might thing the older Super Grain is the dream pipe. Things are not always what they seem. The Relief Grain is a mean,lean smoking machine! We scour the net for the older Kaywoodies. I'm no different. The older wood is better, right? I smoked a bowl of Mac Baren HH Highland in both pipes today. The Relief Grain smoked it so well, the flavors were really evident.I could taste, smell and feel the aromatic notes and quality tobaccos. The Super Grain, I could have been smoking any old tobacco. Nothing but warmth, smoke and gurgle. Amazing. My point? You never know. Now, I bought both pipes as estates on eBay so I don't about how they were treated by previous owner(s) so who knows if that is the reason. Both are clean to my standards and have just the right amount of cake. Both are drilled well and the stingers are intact. Is the Relief Grain made of better wood or is it just the 5% we attribute to "magic"? If only I knew. If only I knew. I do know this. Don't pooh pooh the 3 hole stinger Kaywoodies and HH Highland is a really flavorful smoke...in the right pipe.
Mike S.
Mike S.
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/119/kaywoodies-600x450.jpg

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah I have an old kaywoodie 3 hole drinkless system, it really makes certain blends shine.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
kaywoodies-600x450.jpg

Nice pair!
My four-hole 1930's 5183B really sings, I have no issue with the stinger. I have a 1950's, four-hole 07C unsmoked Bulldog waiting in the wings as well. (it's on Ebay now, but I'll smoke it if it doesn't sell)

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Nice!
I'm working on my collection of Kaywoodies. They seem to get snapped up pretty quickly on ebay. I found this Carburetor model in an antique store.
So the number of holes in the stinger dates the pipe? This one has four and is stamped 04. Maybe from the 50'S?
kwcarb_zps5bff201d.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I dont have my reference info in front of me, but there was a four hole stinger stamped "Drinkless" up to 1949. Then the"Drinkless" stamp was dropped (still 4 hole), then the stinger was changed to a three hole.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Good looking pipes! Personally, I like the looks of the Relief Grain better, but that's just me.

I only have one Kaywoodie, a 3/4 bent Ruf-Tone Dublin, let's just say it's not the best smoker in my collection.

All totaled I have two stinger pipes, the Woody, and a Dr. Grabow Belvedere straight billiard. The Dr. G is the better smoker of the two, but the only thing I've found that it smokes well is Mac Baren Navy Flake. It sings with that blend, but sucks with everything else!
By the way, good choice on the HH Highland Blend!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I had a nice Kaywoodie once upon a time, but sold it on ebay. It is one of those pipe regrets. It was oxidized heavily and that was before I knew you could clean that off. Wish I had that pipe back.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
tuold: if you dig thru this, you'll find some info on the date of your pipe. (I don't know when the carb model was introduced, I'd start there)

http://chriskeene.com/kwg-toc

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I stumbled right into what turned out to be a '35-'38 Supergrain Canadian for a few bucks at a flea market and love it, stinger and all. No others to compare to, but I'm more than happy with this one. I'll keep the advice about the newer ones in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.