Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
These aren't completed auctions, but they're interesting because of the stems. The first of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BARLING-S-EB-WB-PIPE-SILVER-MOUNTED-HORN-AMBER-STEM-CASED-PIPE-1923/302693912278?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
Is a cased pipe that has two stems made from horn with amber spliced onto them. I've never seen anything like this and I'm guessing that these are repairs, especially since one of the two stem splices is very badly mismatched. But if anyone is aware of, and can document, that Barling ever offered this as an original option I'd like to know about it.
The other one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BARLINGS-MAKE-SILVER-MOUNTED-REDMANOL-STEM-PIPE-1908/372266907929?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
Has a Redmanol stem mounted to the pipe. The pipe is hallmarked to 1908. Nothing from the Barling literature for that period suggests Redmanol was an option. Redmanol was invented in 1907, so it's possible that it could have been used by Barling, but again, the options they list are Vulcanite, amber, and black amber. Also, the stem is shown to be threaded, and Barling had switched to friction tenons by 1908.
Any thoughts from the pipe history buffs?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The stems on the cased pair caught my eye as well. I can only surmise that the amber tips are (period) repairs. What caught my eye after the stems was the odd shape of the top of the bowl. To my eyes, it looks like it's been topped.
As for that Redmanol stem, I don't know about the threaded tenon, but the taper of the stem itself looks really odd -- almost like the button was shaped out of a broken stem or something. You think there's any chance it's original to the pipe? Pretty stummel, though.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
To my eyes, it looks like it's been topped.
I agree. Also, look at the fit to the case. There's room at the top, which usually indicates that the pipe is either not original to the case, or that it has been topped.
Personally, I don't think that the stem is original, but there aren't any pictures of the mortise, which would show threading, or the lack of it, so I can't be sure.
Your suggestion that the repairs are early is spot on. Someone must have really chewed up those horn stems. The whole business is odd. Horn stems were available on Barling pipes, but they were very rare.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
It says everything in the descriptions...oops, there are no representations in a descriptions, because there aren't any! Primary reason why I, personally, would NEVER buy anything from this vendor, but that's just me.
:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I envy sable his deep indoctrination in the Barling brand, as compared to my totally amateur scattershot relationship to pipe brands. Show me something with an airway, and I'm set. It requires focus, concentration, and study to know a brand in depth.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jesse, if you don't know about these then who the hell else would? You are the king of Barlings, and you really should know this off the top of your head.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I am in he company of those who can speak with some authority about 100+ y/o pipes, I know enough to be quiet.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Quite a mystery on both of those...
Right along with them (and apologies for the soft hijack) is this thing..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNHILL-LONDON-INNER-TUBE-PATENTED-1914-PIPE-RARE-EARLY-ARCHED-DUNHILL-LOGO/372266913459?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
That doesn't seem legit to me, but im far from an expert.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It says everything in the descriptions...oops, there are no representations in a descriptions, because there aren't any! Primary reason why I, personally, would NEVER buy anything from this vendor, but that's just me.
I've bought a few pipes from Rodrigo and have never had a problem with him. When one of the pipes I bought turned out to be a dud, he took it back, no questions asked, and gave me a complete refund.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I've handled lots of Dunhills, and the one BGBrian linked has all manner of details I've never seen before. It's either 1) some sort of super-early production prototype-ish specimen; 2) a ham-fisted attempt at a generic counterfeit made by a bungler; or 3) a forgery calculated to capitalize on the mystery and variations found in Dunhill's earliest pipes. One that might attract a gullible, romance-minded "believer" of the same ilk as those who contend that "black dot Dunhills" were extra-super-duper-megagrade-made-for-royalty-ultra-pipes worth the price of a decent used car.
I'm sure you can guess which of the three possibilities I don't think it is. :rofl:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The markings on the Dunhill pipe 32 were used in 1919. From John Loring,
"1919 - ‘Arched DUNHILL’. In 1919 the "DUNHILL" stamping was changed from a straight line to a shallow arch. This is the only time that this stamping was employed. There are two variations of the arched "DUNHILL" stamping. From January 3, 1919 to May 20, 1919 the straight line "LONDON" stamping immediately below the arched "DUNHILL" is within the compass of the arch, while from May 21 to Year’s End it is equal to the compass with the "L" and final "N" of "LONDON" being immediately below the "D" and the final "L" of "DUNHILL". Thus if the "DUNHILL" stamping of the pipe forms a shallow arch you know the pipe was made in 1919.
"A". In this period Bruyere pipes were uniformly stamped with an "A", however, sometimes the "A" was circled and sometimes not. Whether the "A" is circled or not has no bearing on the date of the pipe. I am presently unawares of the distinction underlying the two styles."

Now, would I bid on this particular pipe? Without the provenance, ABSOLUTELY NOT!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Well, sinsun we done been hijacked...
Did Dunhill use shape numbers that far back? (And that's just a question, not any kind of insinuation on my part.)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Lowly? Riff raff?!
Had you asked nicely, since we are all gentlemen here, we Dunhillists would have undoubtedly complied without a word of protest.
However, as it stands now, I'll have you know that Alfred once said the following to Benjamin:
"Sir, your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries! Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it! If those... um... things you make can be called pipes, that is!"

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable, I thought Dunhill made those early Barling's pipes, right?
Fake news! Actually, BBB made a lot of early Dunhills as did Manny, Moe, and Jacques.
However, as it stands now, I'll have you know that Alfred once said the following to Benjamin:
"Sir, your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries! Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it! If those... um... things you make can be called pipes, that is!"
To which Ben replied, "Goodness Alfie, it must be interesting to go through life constantly hallucinating without needing drugs."

Status
Not open for further replies.