Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Inspired by the current pipes magazine radio show, I was browsing the web. One big gripe I have with the sponsored (Beth Stern's) smoking jackets is that they appear to be exclusively meant for informal (indoor) evening wear. They remind me too much of a fancy Pyjama jacket to really appeal to my sense of fashion.
Then I came across this brand here: http://www.betabrand.com/mens/jackets/navy-reversible-smoking-jacket.html
poseidon_reversible_smoking_jacket_16_1.jpg

poseidon_reversible_smoking_jacket_14.jpg

The really cool thing is that they are reversible, i.e., if you turn them inside out they transform into a a casual sport coat:
new_navy_reversible_smoking_jacket_5.jpg

What do you guys think?

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Those are cool, and they seem to hold the promise of attractive female company, but the idea of spending that kind of money just for something to smoke in is not in my universe. So I'll continue to wear my burgundy caftan with the paisley print (thanks, Mrs. P.).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The guys in the jackets in the first photos seem to have bought them too small. I think of smoking jackets as

being tailored just right, with an elegant drape to them, not saggy or oversize, but not tight. I think the

price point on these is somewhat too high. Of course, if they were made by name designers as originals,

someone would pay $1,500 for one, or more. But for the average guy who'd like to have a smoking jacket

in the old style, in a paisley print, I think a good price range would be $80 to $120, something that could

be requested as a gift without asking for the moon. For that, the reversible aspect could be left out. If I

bought one of these, I'd expect to wear it a lot, instead of an indoor sweater or sometimes a bathrobe worn

for a little warmth. If they came into style, and then went out, they'd be at Marshall's for $30 or $20 on

clearance.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Between my degree in history and my interest in Steampunk/things VicWardian, the classic Smoking Jackets are definitely of interest (along with the smoking hats). The Victorians wore a faintly ridiculous (to modern sensibilities) amount of clothing over the course of a day - outfits worn during daylight hours were not the same as evening dress, and one wore a dressing-gown at home between the time one woke up and the time one got properly dressed for breakfast... The well-to-do even had jackets specifically for shaving, shooting, riding velocipedes, and playing poker,
The smoking jackets were, indeed, specifically for indoor wear. You wouldn't be caught outdoors in one - dreadfully embarrassing... but you'd don one after dinner, once the ladies had retired for the evening as the gents congregated in the smoking-room.

fiawol

Lurker
Aug 16, 2013
Lol want to look that cool! You'd laugh if you ever saw a truck driver roll by smoking a pipe and supporting a dapper smoking jacket.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
phred, Yes, those Victorians went for lots of clothing changes (costume changes as it were) throughout

the day, but only the ones who lived in the big houses or big London apartments. The working man

was lucky to have a change of clothes per week, and that was (I'd guess) 80% of the population. I was

amused on the recent Downton Abby series that the line between the lord of the manner and his family

and the servants was drawn, among the men, by the color tie they wore to supper (or to serve supper).

The servants wore black ties and the seated family white ties. That was in the 1940s! I've experienced

British class mania firsthand, and it quietly confirmed the wisdom of the U.S. colonists breaking away.

The Brits, the Scots, and the Irish are each wonderful in their own way -- but really completely culturally

distinct. The Irish and the Scotch are as different from each other as either from the Brits. They assert

this vehemently, but it's true. Different attitudes toward children, toward food, toward women, etc.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I'm with 4dot on this one. I can't see me buying a jacket just to smoke in. I smoke in whatever I'm wearing at the time. I'd smoke in my birthday suit if I wasn't scared of ash getting on Jr.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Agatha Christie's Poirot had some beautiful smoking jackets in the Poirot series.
Can't even imagine myself in a smoking jacket. Mrs. P in her burgany caftan with gold paisley print is as close to fancy as this family will ever get. Ooops! She just informed my that she has purchased a black kimono with pink roses on it. My God, I've created a monster!!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think smoking jackets are cool. I wouldn't like being compelled to dress up, but a little style around the

house seems good. Everyone has gotten so slack and frumpy. People do overseas travel in basketball shorts

and t-shirts. For really trim young people, that can work. Clue: Most of us aren't really trim young people.

Smoking jackets have a lot of panache. Why not dress up a little while at leisure? Two product development

suggestions. Keep the smoking jackets upscale looking and somewhat tailored (but not tailored slim please).

And make them machine washable, so if you are snacking and drinking while smoking (in your jacket) a spill

or two won't be catastrophic. Cat fur, a little grease from cooking, etc. etc.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Why not dress up a little while at leisure?"
Because it's LEISURE.
No costumes for me, thanks. And justify it anyway you want, but a smoking jacket is a costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.