PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I bought these two Edward's Algerian Briars about a year ago. A friend offered to clean and polish for me but they sort of got lost in a shuffle with him having to travel out of state for work. I got them back over the weekend and went to work on them myself. I need to start reminding myself to take "before" photos to show the difference.

The one in the pipe stand is an 845. I'm assuming it was made after Edward's move production to Florida. There is no number stamped on the bottom of the shank and the stem has no additional stamping.

The one sitting on the table is an 713-M. It has a 2 stamped on the bottom of the shank. France is barely readable on the bottom of the stem.
I removed the finish with isopropyl alcohol on each pipe. I then worked them over starting with 320 grit sandpaper and then moving up to 600, 1000, 2000, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12,000 sand paper. I didn't use micro-mesh pads this time. The stems were de-oxidized and polished but I had trouble getting some tooth marks out of the bit.
I shot this photo before deciding whether to wax and buff on my buffer.
tccxO7V.jpg

Reactions: beargreasediet

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great pipes. Iwan Ries used to have house pipes made under the Benton line by Edwards. I have a Canadian, billiard, and a small near-Oom-Paul in Algerian briar, fine smoking pipes, must be thirty years old by now.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Mike,

I started with an oxyclean soak for an hour and then worked them over with micro mesh pads and Brebbia pipe polish. I then used some red Tripoli and caranuba on the buffer. Finished them off wit Obsidian oil. Thought about trying Turtle Wax Rubbing compound but chickened out.

Status
Not open for further replies.