PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
So being a newbie and frugal by nature when I started looking a pipe tobacco I was shocked by the cost of some brands!!

I thought that you had to be paying for the name right? I was convinced after buying some SP black cavendish and cheap

Smoke shop tobacco and making my own blend that tasted better than a local shops blend that the hype on top brands like C&D

And PS and such was just overpriced hype right?
Well boy was I wrong!! I just went to the local shop for some filters and pipe cleaners and while I was ther I picked up a tin of drew estate ( haven’t tried yet )

And some C&D autumn evening and two bowls into the autumn evening I’m a believer! Just wow the difference in the quality and flavor just elevated my experience of pipe smoking

To new levels. No bite no overheating just zen and relaxation!! So if your reading this and you like me thought it was an overpriced brand elevated by its name, your so wrong

Head to your local shop and see if they have any bulk blends in the big names I got 2 ounces for $7.50 which is cheaper than any online price even before shipping!! So you can’t go wrong

Trust me!!!!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D does good work. Two ounces for $7.50 is a good price. As a new pipe smoker, I'd keep quantities small even if you really like something, so you can try around quite a bit. Happy hunting!

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I agree, C&D autumn evening is an awesome blend. And we are coming into the right time of year for it.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Autumn evening isn't a blend I have tried yet but I have so much in my rotation now I told myself I wouldn't buy anything mew until I put a decent dent into it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I couldn’t leave her if I tried.
Had to get the Monkees reference in there. I was amazed how much better the tins and Stokkebye, C&D bulks are. It’s a completely different world. Welcome to it!

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Lord, do you recommend the bulk or the tin of Autumn Evening, or should I order both. :D

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Agreed it’s cheaper, was more or less curious what/if there was any differences in the bulk to tinned.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
I don’t know how to respond to individual responses from my phone so I’ll just address

Them all lol. I have placed a large order as a result of being a border lol but I only ordered between 2 to 4 oz

Of each one I picked out based on the description and how likely I am to enjoy them. Truth be told I’m a very versatile smoker

I like sweet as well as strong and stout and everything in between. I think each flavor profile and blend has its place. I’m sure I will find some I don’t like

And I will pass those to someone who is in need or wants them. Or maybe do some trading eventually. I will continue to be receptive and soak up all halls

Infinite wisdom!! And I gather if you don’t like something at first you can jar it and come back to it at a later time and it may taste different??

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
do you recommend the bulk or the tin of Autumn Evening, or should I order both
The only difference I noticed between the two was moisture content. My bulk ounces were much more dry than those from the tin.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Love the PS nougat but in love with C&D autumn evening!! I’m trying to pace myself so I have to wait another

Hour lol and it’s all I can think about. And it’s not a nicotine need trust me I’m still good from two hours ago lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
willisk, starting out, I wouldn't be too hasty in giving away or selling the blends that don't appeal to you right away. As you develop your taste, some blends you love at first will get boring, and a blend you don't like will suddenly unfold to you. So unless something nauseates you or bites like a junk yard dog, I'd jar it up and try it later, like a year or two. Some who start out loving aromatics drop them cold, and others who have never liked them will discover them later, and so on. Some mild blends that taste humdrum can come up subtle and complex later. Some that are way too strong can improve remarkably with experience. So be cagey, and don't assume your first experience will be your whole experience. Just a piece of advice from experience. C&D Bayou Night just seemed harsh on the first go-around, and now it is a favorite. Iwan Ries Three Star Blue just tasted disorganized and annoyingly edgy, until it came together for me. And this happens all the time, over time. Also some blends just get way better with aging, a few months or a few years.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Sounds like good advice!! I cracked a tin earlier of drew estates grand central and loved the smell

Not so much the taste lol so I jarred it and put it in the closet!!

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have found that the best part about the hobby for me is trying different blends. And the pipes. And the people. And well, just about everything

Status
Not open for further replies.