PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Friday morning I discovered unexpectedly that the shortest route between Summerstown, Ontario, where I was spending the night, and Riviere Rouge, Quebec, was through Montreal. I was in a bit of a hurry, in that I wanted to arrive with some daylight (for hunting purposes; the weekend was the inaugural hunt at a friend's new hunt camp), but I still decided that I could squeeze a lightning trip to Blatter & Blatter's pipe store in Montreal and still beat the traffic.
After some consideration, I selected a Canadian and a bent Billiard. This leaves me within spitting distance of a Blatter & Blatter rotation.
174-600x450.jpg

I really didn't have as much time as I would have liked, but I did take this shot of the main display:
176-600x450.jpg

And I shot a panorama of the inside:
175-600x130.jpg

It's always a pleasure shopping there. I had the opportunity to smoke a bowl of Aperitif in the Canadian while watching a lovely Laurentian sunset. It was kind of windy, so not the best conditions for a proper contemplative review, but I'll get around to that in due course.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A Canadian made by a Canadian bought in a Canadian city. So cool! I love B&B. The wide angle shot makes the store look much bigger than it is.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Fearsclave:
Good on you!
Blatter pipes are, sadly, virtually unknown in the States. Your newest additions are classic shapes and styles much appreciated by an older guy. (I have three Blatters in my weekly rotation.)
I still covet the Rhodie hanging out of your maw in the avatar. If you ever get tired of it - and I know you won't - please light me up with a PM.
Cheers to you,
Fnord

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Very jealous of that Canadian! As a Canadian myself, acquiring a Blatter & Blatter has been a must for me but the only time I had visited Montreal was in my pre-pipe days. I wish they had an online shop.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
@mso489: you're absolutely right; Montreal has a fantastic restaurant scene; unfortunately, I'm about fifteen years out of date on it. But back when I was living there, I had no less than eight Indian places that would deliver to my address...
@fnord: I'll make sure my executors give you a right of first refusal on the bent Bulldog once I kick the bucket :).
@jpmcwjr: ...by a Canadian. Any more Canadian I'd have to drench myself in maple syrup.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
But to get to something that fnord observed, one of the reasons that I really dig the Blatters is that their shapes are pretty darn classic. They make all sorts of pipes, but the line that I'm collecting seems to be old English shapes. I've got a bit of an interest in the Victorian and Edwardian era, and since pipe smoking has such a retro vibe to it, I've been skewing my collection towards old English shapes.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
I love Montreal, and my B&B is one of my favourite pipes. Congrats! +1 mso, the poutine, the smoked meat... It's incredible! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.