PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
Been in the woods for a week. Me and my buddy sat in the Alberta weather for a week passing up on alot of bucks that week seeing only 3 does. My friend shot his Buck on Thursday while I shot my buck Friday morning. Nice Alberta Bucks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Food in the freezer. Look like nice clean kills. Venison for the holidays!

Dec 24, 2012
Great pics. I have a big parcel of land in southern Ontario that I plan to retire to - my inlaws live in the farmhouse and take care of the place for me. I had a whole bunch of hunters contact me wanting permission to deer hunt on the property. I declined for various reasons, including liability issues. A couple of years ago an OPP officer who is a friend of my inlaws and lives a short distance away asked for permission to hunt there (only bowhunting of deer is allowed in that area, though shotguns can be used for wild turkeys). I agreed to let him hunt there and he has nailed numerous bucks, and has also chased away (and in two case even arrested) hunters who were trespassing to hunt on my property.
In any event, every year he brings us a bunch of deer meet, including sausage he makes. The sausage is delicious, but truth be told other than the sausage (which I believe he mixes with pork, for added fat content), I have found it very difficult to cook the deer steaks without them going dry. So I ask all of you deer hunters out there, what is the secret to cooking deer meat?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Congrats! Those are some beauty, bucks.
Peck, I like to keep the loin whole, instead of cut into steaks. I marinate the hell out of the loin and then slow cook. If you like to do the steak thing, then again.... marinate 'em for a long time and then grill to sear 'em and serve them as rare as the audience can handle them.
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Rare is not a problem Pat. We eat all our beef steaks rare. As my Father used to say, "Just cut off the horns, wipe the ass, sear on both sides, and then serve". LOL.
Any marinade recipes?

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
+100 Pruss, a good marinade is a great place to start. Wild game likes to be eaten rare or medium rare. Well done will dry it out quickly. Red wine marinade is great for venison it will impart a bit of the wine flavour and dumb down the wild taste a bit. I can shoot you a couple marinade receipes that I have that worked good if you like.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
What a nice pair for your harvest this season. Mounting quality and a serious batch of tasty, tasty, meat.

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
I don't think I'm going to mount them. I would be looking for something a little bigger if I'm putting it on the wall.
As for cooking deer you have to remember its a very lean cut of meat. I tent to grill the backstraps or the tenderloin as is with a little salt and pepper. The steaks from the rear quarters are a little tougher but not much so. With them I sometimes do a marinade with lots of olive oil a small big of whatever seasoning you like and make sure they rest. Its all about the resting period. You don't want thoes sweet sweet juices all over the cutting board you want them in your mouth.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Congrats to you and your partner cbg, nice bucks and time well spent with a friend. I hope you managed to smoke a bowl or two around a campfire at night.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Great looking deer. Doesn't get more free range natural delicious meat. Took my nephew today as it was youth hunt weekend. Didn't get any close enough to confidently pull the trigger on for him. Have to say I was proud of him, at 11 hard to let them walk on by.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Beautiful bucks!! I've always been interested in hunting but my father, nor any other relative, hunted. Nobody to teach. Sad day.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
They were unarmed, defenseless
So was the cow that the steak you had tonight came from.... Man I love these holier that thou types,.... Get over yourself Hobie!!!!! :nana:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Congrats! Good looking bucks. And imo, a much more humane, sane and natural way of acquiring meat than purchasing the “products” of the corporate industrial concentration-camp horror factories.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Congrats on killing two exceptional deer. We are in deer season up here in Maine right now. Going outside near the woods means wearing hunter orange, especially of the dog comes along. There's some good eating there. Enjoy and thanks for sharing the success story and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.