Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Old stems sick.
Sick is bad. :cry:
P1010159.jpg

New stems healthy (and prettier!)
Healthy and prettier is good. :D
P1010156.jpg

(No. I haven't lost what little mind I have left, I'm just having a bit of fun. The pipes belong to a Kevinboard member and I thought I'd let him know the work is done here to see how long it takes him to notice. :mrgreen: It's now 17:43 CDT )

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Damn.
I went to the kitchen to start my toaster oven and boil water for some tea, then came straight back.
Color me impressed. :lol:

Oct 7, 2016
Outrageously good looking. You have my address, Ash, wouldn't think of taking your birth year Dunhill, but you can send any one of the other two.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

George, you always have the cure for a sick pipe. I soak mine in ACV and give them a shot of Alka-Seltzer like grandma always taught me and they never turn out as healthy as yours. Man! :worship:

allthebass

Might Stick Around
May 7, 2017
Bettendorf, IA
Loving those Ashton's, I'm a sucker for a Bill's billiards and Dublins. The square shank is especially cool. Those stems look fantastic, now I know who to contact when I need one replaced.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
You know how much I love the process, so here are the peek-behind-the-curtain pics for this job. (I keep hoping someone will get interested enough to want to pick up where I leave off with all this. Gettin' old, the me.)
P5303407.jpg

P5303409.jpg

P6013410.jpg

P6013413.jpg

P6023425.jpg

P6043443.jpg

P6053474.jpg

P6043467.jpg

small_flare.jpg

small_square.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
You guys get to see the pictures here in one thread.......George sent them to me.....one....at....a.....time....... Painfully fun.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Amazing work georged! I would never dream of trying something like that...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
George, you taking on an apprentice?
That would be the "perfect world" solution, but I don't have the layout/situation for it. My shop is IN my house, and occupies 75% of it. I also work on and off in 1-2 hr chunks from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. (hand & eye rest)
So, any "apprentice" sort of thing would have to be online and via phone. A coach/mentor who could give direction and help solve problems.
No one I've come across already has the equipment necessary for hardcore repair and stem-making, though. (Refurb & cleanup requires only a small percentage of the tools and supplies of a full-on repair shop). There are several true repair shops already out there, of course, but---in my experience, anyway---they aren't interested in dealing with high dollar collectables and "collectable grade" work. It IS fussy and stressful, so I can't fault anyone for avoiding the minefield. RonniB would be the exception---he thrives on tough jobs and his workmanship is first class---but the last time I talked to him he was out of the game until further notice.
There are a number of current pipe makers who have the chops to do the collectable grade gig, but none I know of have the tools or the desire (the tool setup is quite different). More hassle, more stress, and less money are the usual reasons given.
Anyway, that's the story. Much of the reason I post behind-the-scenes photos from time to time is because I'm "fishing." This site gets a lot of traffic, and someone might pass through who finds themselves intrigued by the repair biz, and shoots me a PM. Stranger things have happened. :lol:
Thanks for asking, waterdoctor :D

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's really cool to see the old stems next to the new stems and just how dead on they are to the originals. In fact, I'm pretty sure they look nicer than the originals did when they were original. Great job George! Ash, you have to be delighted with how they turned out. :puffy:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Those are some gorgeous stems, and The Old Cajun has it right: they are truly better than the originals.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
And here I used to get all impressed with myself after spending an hour or so simply filing, sanding and buffing up an oxidized stem. :(
I can't imagine how neat it must be to actually "Create" something that beautiful.
Well done sir!
dino

Status
Not open for further replies.