PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

highlander

Might Stick Around
Dec 5, 2013
I just bought my first pipe...a churchwarden. I noticed that there was a light clockwise twist in the stem, perhaps 10 degrees. I asked the salesman why that was and he replied that it allowed the pipe to be held off-center. Since I liked the "handle" or feel of the pipe I got it anyway.
Was I told true or was I snookered?

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
It depends on the make of the pipe i guess, but it is possible that would be the case. Is it a screw in stem or just stick in. Reason i ask is some screw in stems come a bit on angle so that over the years of taking it out and screwing it back in, it would eventually level out straight. as opposed to being loose and off center over a period of time.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Now that i think about it however, i myself have had CW pipes with stems like this so its quite possible that is the case. Either way as long as you like the pipe and it smokes well for you it doesn't really matter. If it does bother you, you could get a heat gun and bucket of water heat the stem bend it straight then dip it in water. Repeat until you have what you desire.

I have a churchwarden with a slight twist too. I just assumed it was because such a long piece of rubber is not going to stay perfectly straight, but... hmmmmm... but what if someone holds their pipe in the other side of their mouth? Whether it's true or not, yours is the explanation that I will give if anyone ever asks me why mine isn't straight :wink:

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
You gotta love these excuses. I have seen quite a lot of pipes with a certain twist in the bent stem. With churchwardens it is of course immediatley visible. You get all sorts of explanations for this, but in fact, it is sloppy bending of the stem. The pipe will smoke fine, but if you really choose to take a heat gun to the stem and make it right, you will see, how difficult it is, to get it right with a churchwarden stem.
Kind regards,

Peter

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
It is what it is regardless of the reason, if you do go the heat gun route make sure you have a long CW pipe cleaner in the stem while working on it. Heat it in increments of 5-6 seconds on the sides you would like to bend the stem in. up and down heat top and bottom etc. apply very very little pressure to move the stem Millimeters at a time then cool and do it again if you must.
DO NOT TWIST!!

highlander

Might Stick Around
Dec 5, 2013
Thanks. I'm happy to learn that I didn't really get a defective stem. I have held it and the clockwise twist would seem to work better with someone who is left-handed. At any rate, it doesn't seem to make the pipe awkward, just a bit off kilter.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
They don't sit in my mouth evenly anyway when I clench so, just hold it in your hand and ignore the bend. I have few estates that still have a bit of the pre-emptive twist in the metal fitments. I was surprised at that when I got them. I think i learned that about kay woodies along time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.