PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Lapsang Souchong, also referred to as smoked tea, is one of the worlds’ oldest and most distinctive black teas. The tea is grown in the Wuyi Mountains in the Fujian Province of China and is made by only a select number of estates. Once a very secretive process, Lapsang Souchong is prepared using the same manual techniques today that have been passed down from generation to generation. After the tea is plucked, the leaves are withered over cypress or pine wood fires. They are later placed into barrels so that the smoky aroma intensifies. As a final step, the leaves are placed into flat wicker baskets and positioned on bamboo trays over smoky pine fires, where they dry and absorb even more aroma. The finished tea leaves are thick and black and when steeped in hot water, produce a rich tea with a unique, smoky taste.

-From Twinings Label
If the description sounds like latakia tobacco, that's as close to the taste as I could imagine describing it as. Forum member huntertrw posted about it a few years ago, and just recently became reacquainted with it over the holiday season. It's like a strong English tobacco blend in every way you can imagine. I don't care for heavy English tobaccos very often, but there are times that I do, and this is one amazing drink for an English smoke.
img_20171231_021509-337x600.jpg

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I love Lapsang, and Twinings is very definitely the best. It's one of the three or four teas I always have on hand. It's very good with spicy food too - curries etc - where a more delicate tea would be overwhelmed.
However, there is no doubt that Lapsang is something of an acquired taste. At first sip many (most?) people don't care for it much - but it is worth persevering until it reveals its secrets.
Mike

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Pour a little rum in it and you've got "Black Frigate" tea!
You know I'm going to have to try that now. :mrgreen:
At first sip many (most?) people don't care for it much - but it is worth persevering until it reveals its secrets.
Love at first sip here. Very woodsy.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I love everything smoked: salmon, bacon, oysters, cheese, ham etc. The wonderfully smoky taste of Latakia needs no introduction around here. As Lapsang Souchong falls into the smoky category, it's only natural I would like it. As for adding rum to it, not my cup of tea!

Oct 7, 2016
I really like this if you don't mind loose tea.
The same company has a less pricey Formosa variety that is somewhat smokier than the average Lapsang from China, though I find the variety highlighted above at least as smoky.
As pointed out in another thread, this is a low caffeine tea, suitable for me to drink in the evenings, though not right at bedtime.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I've bookmarked that page. Sounds wonderful. Saw that they also have an extra bergamot Earl Grey that sounds interesting.

Oct 7, 2016
@chasingembers, all of their variants of Earl Grey are very good. Probably a higher caffeine content than LS, I don't usually drink it much later in the day than mid-afternoon.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Twinnings is good, never seen their Lapsang. Drinking a local blend with chunks of cinnamon and chili flakes in it. Great when 10 degrees with no wind sounds tropical.

Status
Not open for further replies.