PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
Hey Everyone - I have a metal pipe that is marked "Twin Flow - Pat. Pending," and that's all. It has three bowls with it, that have not been smoked. I did a lot of research on it, and couldn't find a whole lot. I did find it on http://www.smokingmetal.co.uk/pipe.php?page=125, but that's about it. There wasn't much for manufacturer information, etc. It isn't listed on Pipedia, either. Its been kicking around for awhile, and it just caught my attention. So, I was thinking about firing it up to see how she smokes. The briar bowls are not of the highest quality, but they should serve the purpose.
Does anybody have any information on this make?
Many Thanks!

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I have one and smoke every now and again. IMO it is much like the Viking. Smoke it and enjoy it. Can be used as a fishing/hunting pipe light weight easy to clench.. I use mine as a knock around. BTW Viking bowls will not fit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Twin-Flow, eh? Does it have twin airways, or is that just its name? I have a Britannia with two airways, and it has worked out very well, both pass pipe cleaners, and it smokes fine.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
mso489, the "Twin Flow" comes from the two holes on the sides of the mouthpiece. Otherwise, there is is just one airway through the stem.
I don't think these pipes are related to Dr Grabow pipes because the way the bowl attaches to the pan is different. I saw a post on the Grabow forums that theorized there might be a manufacturing connection between Twin Flow and Koolsmoke pipes.
I do like the bit on the Twin Flows.
owbArfA.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll be damned, kind of a double-barreled bit. It is astonishing the variety of innovative features designed into the basic simplicity of the tobacco pipe. Thanks!

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I would go for a Falcon anytime. Still made new or an estate Falcon and clean it up.

Sorry but that Twin Flow looks a poor cousin.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
oldmansmoking opined:
I would go for a Falcon anytime. Still made new or an estate Falcon and clean it up.

Sorry but that Twin Flow looks a poor cousin.
That's excellent advice if you are only going to have one metal pipe. I like my Falcons too. They make some really beautiful ones and they smoke just fine. If you are a collector of metal pipes though you are going to have Vikings, Airogrates, Aero-Kools and Kirstens. They all smoke great. One of my favorites is the Yello-Bole Aristocrat Airograte on the bottom.
SxwZ2rx.jpg

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
ww.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ORIGINAL-PIPE-DISPLAY-PIPE-MAKER-TWIN-FLOW-DISPLAY-NOS-ESTATE-FIND-/391857763412?hash=item5b3c8af454:g:yJsAAOSwiDFYREPu
Pipe Maker- is the brand who made this. I think those were coupon type pipes from the Mail Pouch tobacco company. But I don't think I have a source for this other than my mind.

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
Thanks for the responses, everyone. This is the only metal pipe that I have, and its just been sitting around gathering dust. A friend of mine gave it to me a while back, and I never had much interest in it. I stumbled upon it the other day, and decided to fire it up to see how it smokes. It has the two holes in the bit, and does clean pretty easily. Very unique design. It is nice and light, and feels good on the jaw.
phxrock - I think your right, this will be a good kick around pipe. I usually smoke a cob when I'm fishing and such, but this is "classier." The fish will like it!
I've never been very interested in metal pipes, but I see that Falcons are still being made. So, oldmansmoking, if I take a shine to this one I'm going to pick up a new Falcon. They are reasonably priced, too!
mso489 - Yup, it's amazing with the gimmicks that are out there.
tuold - Nice pictures, and collection! Koolsmoke, eh...
snagstangl - Now there's a name, "Pipe Maker." Well, $225 says it all. I think you're right, coupon pipe.
So, I'm gathering that I'm not sitting on a rare, valuable, holy grail of pipes, then :D ! Nah, I just like to smoke, and have fun doing it! Thanks, again All! Keep On Smokin :puffy: !!!

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
Update - I've never smoked a metal before, and I got a chance to sit down with this one. What a very nice smoking pipe. She smokes sweet, cool, dry, and has a very nice draw. That twin flow bit is a surprise. I'm used to having the smoke hit my tongue, or in the case of Peterson Systems the roof of my mouth. This kind of spreads it all over the place. Since this pipe smokes so well, I can't wait to try a Falcon. Also, what a breeze to clean!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Interesting investigation, snagstangl! Looking at that list....
Red Dot, Hialeha, Darby and as far as I can tell, all the pipes on there were made by Whitehall. I don't know anything about the Whitehall company, but I thought they bought their pipes from other makers and distributed them under their name. All my Whitehalls have "Made in Italy" stamped on them.
Mail Pouch, was first a chewing tobacco and then a tobacco distributor probably more well known to us for their Kentucky Club pipe tobacco. I saw some of the old magazine ads you wrote about offering these pipes as "Kentucky Club Dividends Pipes". It would be cool if we could find one of the catalogs with the offered pipes.

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
@snagstang - Thank you for the information!
@tuold - When I was a kid I loved seeing the Mail Pouch ads painted on the barn sides! My Mom would take me to the store

to do the shopping, and those colorful pieces of art would stand out against the green of the country side, or the white of the snow. They did kind of disappeared in the fall though, it's hard to compete against mother nature.
Update on the smoking quality of the Twin Flow - Ok, she still smokes nice, but the bit it is becoming to be a pain in the butt. I instinctively put my tongue against the tip of the stem hole to keep me from drooling down into the pipe, especially when smoking a flavorful blend that I'm enamored with, and also to prevent from blowing back into the pipe when expunging that flavorful smoke, but with this bit you are learning a new way to smoke. Also, I found that when firing up the pipe my lips will block those side venting holes, thus making it difficult to properly light up. All in all though, she still smokes cool, and sweet. It's just a different way of practicing our black arts :D !

Status
Not open for further replies.