PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
What is it to reach the age of forty? I like to think there are three comings of age in a man's life. When you reach eighteen, regardless of your maturity, you are officially an adult. You can legally buy tobacco if you wish to smoke, you are not old enough to drink yet in many places, but you're old enough to strap on some combat boots and go to war if your country calls you or you volunteer. Some leave high school behind and move onto college. Others simply get a job and try to make a living on their own in their own way. At 18 you might be old enough to know what lovers do, but not know what love really is. Sure you're grown, you're a man. But are you truly grown up? Or yet truly a man? For some perhaps, for others not so much. You might be an adult, but you are still a young adult. It's an odd age to reach I suppose if you look at it like that.
When you reach thirty, the next coming of age, you get a kick out of it if someone older calls you a young man. You're thirty! You might not be old, but you certainly aren't young anymore. However you ARE young enough to understand the younger generation. You can relate on some things with those older, and yet you still relate to the younger crowd as well. For example, you still listen to the music you grew up on as a teen and in your early to mid twenties. But you like a lot of the stuff those in their teens and twenties are now listening too. You can still be hip, you can still be cool. You're a veteran of all the stuff the younger crowd is getting into and taking the newer things in as well. In life itself, living life, you still have much to learn. However there are those who are younger who can now learn from you as well.
Thirty Five is not a coming of age. At this age you are in limbo and waiting for the next coming of age. At this point, the next five years are just... weird. You might still feel young, but you know your getting older. You can see now how quickly life goes by. You might find yourself having a beer with an old friend, talking about all the "remember when?"s that seem like they just happened yesterday... and then you realize... "Dude! That happened when we were in highschool!" At this age you remember thinking about how long it seemed to take to get from one age to another when you were younger, but now the years seem like they're just flying by. I think you begin to realize just how short this life really is. So perhaps thirty five is a coming of age after all. That said I'll change my earlier statement about three comings of age. It seems there are four. Blink your eyes and the next five years go by just... like... that...
And here I am. Tomorrow, March 2nd, I'll be forty years old. I know what it's like for sure now how fast the years go by. It seems like yesterday I was twenty years old. Now, all of a sudden I'm halfway to eighty. Sure that could be a long time. But I know those years just fly by now. It might seem like a long way off, but I know better. Time has a funny way of creeping up on you. As I'm just reaching this "coming of age" I have no idea what this one will bring me. What I might learn, what I might do... nothing. In a way I'm scared to death, but in another way I'm proud and look forward to it. The grey in my beard? I feel like I earned it. The wrinkles on the corners of my eyes... I feel like I earned them. But what does this age bring me? What can I expect? Is this the age where I begin to acquire more wisdom? A deeper understanding of the world? I hope so. I feel in my bones and into my soul, that the next ten to twenty years can be something very special. I look forward to it, but I want to run away from it at the same time. Deep down I know I'll march right into it however. I'll embrace it.
I started smoking a pipe just a little over a year ago. I guess it was perfect timing. It seems in this new coming of age it will be a good friend to me as I contemplate life and look fondly on the past, but also in hope toward the future.
I'll live my life and smoke my pipe. Here's to you, who haven't reached this age yet. And here's to you, who have left this age long behind. Maybe there are a few more of these ages.
May all of our "comings of age" be blessed.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Congrats on the milestone, friend, I enjoyed your post and share much of the sentiment. From one fantasy and sci fi loving, pipe smoking, finer things liking 40 year old to another; welcome to the club, pal. It's nice in here.
-- Pat

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
It's been said from the time you are born till you are 40 you live your life thinking how people are thinking about you. 40 to 60 you say I don't give a damn what they are thinking about me I"m gonna live my Life. After 60 you find out they wern".t thinking about you at all . LOL. 40 is good, you got perspective now. Enjoy!

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on reaching 40. Ten years to go then you can look forward to some medical tests. The preparation for one is very unpleasant.

Jan 8, 2013
Well put, at 31 myself, that gives me an interesting perspective on the.future. Happy Birthday, my son shares a birthday with you. He will be 8 tomorrow. Heres hoping its a great one for both of you.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My son turned 20 on Wednesday. I am 48. Yes, I enjoy the maturity and wisdom that comes with age. I still often act like a clown. Enjoy your milestone. You sound like you have thought this through and show great wisdom.
Winton

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
At the time, I thought that turning 40 meant something. The reality of it all tempered my response to turning 50. I now look to my late father (passed at 93) for guidence into the next 40. The road goes on forever, the party never ends.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
To quote the Canadian 'poet' Tom Cochrane, "Life is a highway." It's full of twists and turns as we hurtle toward our final destination. Trick is to stop often and enjoy where you're at. That's the lesson this 53 turning 54-year old has learned. Anyway, happy birthday Anthony, 40 is indeed a significant milestone. Hope the next decade is good to you. Thinking the pipe smoking will provide plenty of opportunities to slow down.

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
25 years ago I thought the old saying "over the hill at 40" was nonsense. It was, it's been uphill all the way. Just kidding, happy 40th and many more.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
2n7hxch.jpg
:rofl:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Happy 40th man! That was a very well written post. Having just hit 30 myself, I feel mostly the same as you about the future. Kinda looking forward to it........kinda want to run like hell, lol!

Jan 8, 2013
Great comments everyone. Thanks for chiming in and the happy birthdays and stuff. I'm thinking 40 is going to be a good year. I'm sure I'll get a little more grey in my beard but that's ok. I like the grey.
Pete... Run man! RUUUUUUUUUNNNNNN!!! Lol. Just kidding. It will be great.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Happy Birthday Anthony.
Your post was very reflective. Although I am only 44 I thought about the same things that you did back in my 30's. I would have added that being 21 was a milestone just because that is the legal drinking and gambling age in most states. Being almost midway through my 40's I am starting to see the wisdom that Bradley has bestowed upon us.
Just enjoy the ride my friend. As Gandalf said in Moria, "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I wasn't bothered much by turning 40, somehow ... but the first time I had to fill in the blank on an insurance form that asked for
AGE_____
well, that's when it struck me ... but, to my surprise, the years following that have been the best of life (so far) ... I'd say that based on my experience, Bradley pretty much nailed it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.