PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Ordered a lathe the last week in November and finally got it last week. Here are my first two turnings, the first one is a zebrawood "baseball bat" tamper and the second is a curly maple pawn. The Pawn was a pain, it broke off before I had a chance to finish it so I had to improvise with a jamb chuck.

first-2-tampers-600x448.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Very nice. May I respectfully suggest learning how to turn using wood from the firewood pile, or stuff found by the street after a storm? The operative word is free. If you muff up like you did on the pawn, it is only junk wood. Save the great wood for later. Anyway, have fun.
Winton

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Thanks for the kind words.
Winton, thanks for the advice. I need to find a good source of free wood. So far I've been using pen blanks to test out what kind of woods are easy to turn.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Have you had lathe experience before? Your pawn has great form with the bead and the round top. I could NOT have done this when I first started. I turned lots of firewood into weird shapes and mulch before I started producing things that were worthwhile. My business cards show my title as Sr Vice President of Mulch Production.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
@Winston, these two items are the only things I've turned on my lathe. I've turned a pen and a christmas ornament at the store but most of the process was already completed by the people there.

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
Wow brilliant, Is there any chance I can purchase a tamper or 3 from you? I love them! PM me price and delivery (I live in the UK)

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Yeah nice work! Keep it up. Like winton I made lots of scrap with my lathe until I started getting the hang of it. The pawn turning is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.