Turkish / Orientals Smoking without Throat Burn?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
What is the deal with Turkish and orientals. I like the flavor but every time I smoke it my whole mouth throat even nose burn. I am using Scott's Turkish is they a blend that is better, am I smoking it to hot, or packing to much or is this just expected with such a strong spicy blend

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
What blend is it you are smoking exactly? I can't find it over at P and C??
Is it a blending tobacco that you are smoking straight up by itself??
If so, Turkish is a condiment tobacco; used in small quantities to flavor a blend, not usually smoked by itself.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Stokkebye Turkish Export maybe? If that's what it is you may be getting it too hot, it comes in two cuts and either is pretty thin, but especially the shag. I smoke quite a bit of oriental and haven't ever experienced throat or nose burn. Try some of McClellands Grand Oriental line, they are pretty soft blends and have a chunkier cut. Try the Smyrna, Samsun or Drama and see how they treat you,. It could just be over a certain % in a blend messes with your chemistry.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
+1 on McClelland's Grand Oriental Line. I'm smoking the Yenidje Supreme right now and it is quite enjoyable. But my favorite from this series is the Yenice Agonya.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
It does also happen with the home hearth sweet savory which as some oriental. Maybey the oriental just ain't working with me

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
Last week a tin of Brebbia Balkan arrived. I smoked it with two different pipes - but the same result: a burning in my mouth and throat. It isn't the Latakia. Not sure what it is. It's now aging in the cellar, and I'll try it again in six months.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
That's a good idea I should seal it up and try it a few months from now. No reason to battle through it just to finish it

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I find Izmir really has a sharp flavor that burns the eyes and nostrils, I enjoy it, it's in my daily smoke El Ricon de la Pipa #1 in a very noticeable dose, but yeah you've got to really sip it slow or suffer the consequences. I don't really notice a dramatic change in it with a year of age, so you'll probably have to adjust your smoking technique if you want to enjoy this type of tobacco.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
+2 on the McClellands grand orientals. I get some hints of eucalyptus in the Black Sea Sokhoum sometimes but it doesn't irritate my throat. Love the stuff.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've yet to experience any stinging from any Balkan or Oriental blends. For me, the problem is Virginia bright, even in blends with 30+ years of aging. That leaf just burns the hell out of my mouth. So don't get your hopes up too much about aging mellowing whatever leaf in the blend is causing you pain. Differing body chemistry seems to cause differing reactions to the various types of tobacco.

But, altering your smoking technique may help reduce some unpleasant effects while offering an improvement in the flavor. Slowing down your cadence may help. If the pipe goes out, it goes out, BFD.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Yes I might try it in my hick Finn it has that really small bowl and smoke it slow. That way I have a smaller cooler cherry

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I cannot see how the orientals can burn the throat unless you smoke fast AND steadily inhale 8O , of which I am guilty myself at times .....

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Ok it's official the Turkish / oriental blends do not work with me. I smoked a bowl through my Huck Finn really slow and it was definitely a cool dry smoke yet I still got the irritation to my Jose throat and sinus. I guess that's why I never liked smoking camels.

Status
Not open for further replies.