PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Just got done cleaning a little WDC pipe that has been laying around for a couple of weeks, a Turin Rustic of undetermined age. The pipe came to me with no real issues, just very dirty and oxidized. It turned out really well and I am inaugurating it with a flake of 4th Generation 1931 generously gifted to me by our own samcoffeeman.
I didn't take pictures of the pipe when it arrived, only after I had cleaned the outside of the bowl and de-oxidized the stem. The first two are the ebay pictures from the action and the third is actually the first photo that I personally shot. My photo skills are for poo-poo and the last two "after" pictures don't do the pipe justice. They capture the stummel well enough but due to glare, shadows, and reflections, I couldn't capture just how well the stem restoration turned out. It's disappointing too because the finish on the stem was practically flawless when I got finished. Oh well, maybe one day I'll actually invest in a decent camera.
The "Before" Ebay auction photos:

After a little cleaning on the stummel and oxyclean/magic eraser on the stem:

And right before I set it on fire for the first time :)

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
It looks like it came out great! That tall eight sided bowl, lovely long stem, really nice!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I was eyeballing that one myself. But I got my hand slapped as I was going to click to bid. :crying: I'm glad to see you got it, and even better to see what you did with it.

Very nice restoration, and an attractive little pipe it is!

K

klause

That is a super clean-up job, Torque - really very, very nice.
I wouldn't have looked twice at it in its original state, but now.......well, it's a beautiful pipe I'd be proud to have in my collection.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Thanks guys :) I was a little apprehensive about waxing it and have stayed away from rusticated restores because I didn't want to have to spend hours trying to get build-up out of the rustication. The Renaissance really buffed up nice with no build-up and each hand buffed coat only took about three minutes, I'm very pleased with the results and won't hesitate to do a rusticated in the future.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Very elegant, torque! Like klause, I wouldn't have looked at it in the initial state but it's come up wonderfully well. I hope it gives you years of enjoyment.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.