Tags:  No tags yet. 

Tupperware

(12 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by thomasmartin
  • Latest reply from pipesdownunder
  1. thomasmartin

thomasmartin

Login to Send PM

I use Tupperware to store/cellar my tobacco. All of a sudden I get second thoughts about it. Do you thing they will develop a plastic taste over time? Glass jars have rubber sealing too, haven't they...?

Thomas
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. dustmite

dustmite

Login to Send PM

As far as I know, Mason jars have a silicone seal. I don't think the seal will impart any flavor. I can't answer on the Tupperware issue, though.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would think the tobacco would ghost the Tupperware more than the Tupperware would ghost the tobacco.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not the imparted flavor one way or another that you have to worry with concerning Tupperware, but the fact that it breathes. Your tobacco is not nearly as sealed air tight in Tupperware as it is with tempered glass jars.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. reniaeats

reniaeats

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I'm thinking tupperware might be a problem. As tobacco ages, it might start to break down the plastic. You might not be able to see it, but it's happening. Now picture yourself lighting up a bowl of plastic-tinged anything.

Renia
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I tried the new Half and Half, it tasted like lighting up plastic-tinged tobacco. I did not enjoy it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many years ago, I used a tupperware container to keep a few cigars. Not for decades, but from one month to the next, or even a couple of months. It was OK for short term and think that if you are keeping an opened tin in a tupperware container for a while to prevent the tobacco from drying out, it should be OK. For long term storage I'd stick with glass. Whether the seal on the mason jars is rubber or silicone, so little of it is exposed to the tobacco that it does not matter. If you want to avoid glass for some reason, some folks have good success with mylar bags for keeping tobacco.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep... Tupperware just ain't gonna cut it for keeping tobacco fresh over the long term.
    Go with the well proven Mason jars or sealed Mylar bags.

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

From what I read, most plastics designed for food storage excel as moisture barriers,
    but volatile organics can "walk" right through them. Tobacco will be moist, but unfit.
    So, phil67 +1

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not sure about the taste thing but I don't think Tupperware is the way to go for long term storage. It's not going to keep your leaf moist and fresh. Mason jars are the way to go afaic.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another agreement that while Tupperwear should not negatively impact flavor from the plastic standpoint, its not adequate for long term storage.

Mason Jars are the well accepted and proven solution to this. The silcone ring should not be in touch with any of the tobacco anyway.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. pipesdownunder

pipesdownunder

Login to Send PM

I use tuppaware to put pipes in while I travel, nice and sturdy and you can get it in basically any shape/size you want.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tbradsim1, oldgeezersmoker, ebnash, cossackjack, jaytex969, cshubhra, georged, nhhiggy