Tupperdore question for the cigar snobs

(25 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hiplainsdrifter
  • Latest reply from woodsroad
  1. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a small tupperware that I use for cigar storage. I have been buying up some sticks and it is pretty full at the moment. I a using a Xikar Propylene Glycol jar for humidification. Would it be better to move my stash to a larger container or is the smaller container better? I only smoke about 5 cigars a year so the 20+ sticks I have would be aging several years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not a cigar guy, but in most cases in storing pipe tobacco, or food in the refrigerator, the less space for extra air in the container the better things will keep. Am I wrong, or has it been more than a year since we've heard from you, hiplains'? Welcome back in any case. How are your pipes?

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. buckaroo

buckaroo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does not matter. Nothing wrong with a full box. Keep humidity constant/ temp down. Buy a cheap electronic hygrometer. Sponge, distilled water, and something to hold it in. My 2 cents- Those jars are a waste of money.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My 2 cents- Those jars are a waste of money.

Because they don't work or because they are more expensive than a sponge?

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm no help but, what about smoking more cigars, more often. It's a win-win I believe.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use a large mason jar and they keep well. No humidification - watch for mold.

I smoke maybe one or two a month.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tupperdore should be ideal for 20 sticks or so, Just make sure you open it at least once a month for air transfer, as a cigar snob I would say get a real humidor though, or at least line the container with cedar

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a small 25 stick humidor and I use Boveda packets, just check them once a month or so and they last for 3-4 months, they take the hassle out of cigar storage for those of us who only smoke occasionally.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ditto the use of the Boveda packets, have about 150 sticks or so in a couple of Tupperware containers. For over a year, they have worked perfectly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just a little note for those that use the Boveda humidity packets or any same type product. When they get dried out you can put them in a large gallon size plastic bag with a cup of distilled water, stand then upright and seal the bag. The packets with absorb the distilled water and in effect recharge themselves. I have been doing this for years. I'm thrifty, what can I say.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tip.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke cigars, but my great uncle did. He left me one of these. Pretty neat thing. It will move to my new digs and be used for pipe tobacco.

---
    Ken
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With a Tupperdore the container doesn't breath like a humidor would, so I would suggest opening it up about once a week to move some air. A few minutes to breath should be fine. Also, if you can get some Spanish cedar to put in there it will help regulate the humidity (give/take moisture). As for you humidification device its best if you have something that will give and take humidity like cigar beads etc. I use non-scented silica cat litter with water. Sounds odd, but it works really well. Boveda packs work well too if you don't want to spend the money on cigar beads. Just know that the Boveda packs will only last a few months. Note: If you only have something that gives off moisture and you don't open the container frequently then your cigars will get moldy. I use a digital thermometer and hygrometer to measure the temp and humidity level in my tupperdore. Good luck!

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cigar humidors are pretty reasonable price wise these days. Not at all like in those heady days of the cigar boom. You can buy propylene glycol at some better pharmacies by the bottle. Wet foam oasis can be found at hobby stores. Mix the PG 50/50 with distilled water, saturate the oasis and you're pretty close to 70% RH. Those Credo things can also be used. Otherwise, I recommend putting some cedar in the tupperware to absorb the humidity. Use the money you save by not buying the Bovida etc things and in no time, you'll be shopping for a humidor on eBay.

Mike S.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

nevadablue, what an interesting tobacco safe. It looks similar in design to an old ice box. What does the manufacturer's plate say?

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Porcelain Cigar Case"
    Made By Wilke Mfg. Co
    Anderson, Ind.

At least that's what I think I made out from the photo!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, that's it. Those pics are off the net, but mine is just like it. Even the door latch looks 'ice box'. It also has a tray which seems to have held the moisture wick or whatever it had originally.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. smokeyweb

smokeyweb

Login to Send PM

Cigar snob here. Your sticks will be perfectly fine in a Tupperware container. The more full/smaller the space the better. There is no better way to humidify cigars than Boveda packs. Personally, I prefer 72% packs. I would not recommend using a sponge. WAY too difficult to keep the humidity down and at a safe level that way. I have tried everything. Beads, sponges, gel, etc. and nothing compares to the Boveda packs. Completely maintenance free, and your cigars will smoke like a dream and never mold.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. smokeyweb

smokeyweb

Login to Send PM

Air tight with Boveda is the way to go. Don't waste your money on an expensive humidor. Plus, unless you are willing to spend several hundred on a solid cedar plank humidor, most are total Chinese garbage plywood boxes with a 1mm lining of Spanish cedar. Ripoff!

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. smokeyweb

smokeyweb

Login to Send PM

Pelican cases with Boveda packs make awesome humidors!

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. smokeyweb

smokeyweb

Login to Send PM

That is what I recommend to anybody thinking about getting into cigars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've always had to many cigars for my fussy humidors so I've always maintained a very stable coolerdore with gel sticks and lots of sheets of Cedar box dividers.

I smoke a lot of cigars and have always bought daily sticks to smoke on my drive to work but this season I decided to smoke up what I've been saving. Some of these $$ticks I've had in the cooler for close to 20 years and they are in perfect condition. I smoked a Monticrito #2 from the cooler at the fireworks tonight that I bought at the Toronto La Casa in the late 90's that was perfect.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have used credos, oasis foam, PG, etc. in the past. I use Boveda and nothing else now. Enough said.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Lot of cigars, probably more than some B&M's. I've been at this for quite a while.
    For your situation Tupperware is your best option unless your willing to spend $500 + on a good humidor and even then it will probably be more matanence than you want to do.
    Any humidor or tupperdor should be about 80% full. The humidifier jars are not good in a tupperdor they are not a two way humidifier, your cigars will not burn as well as they could, will be more prone to mold and will have a bitter aftertaste. Boveda is what you want. Beads/KL is the next best. In a tupperdor, as infrequently as you smoke the Boveda will probably last a year or more before you have to recharge them, buy twice as many as you need so that you can rotate them. The foam is a REALLY bad idea!
    Nathan

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting thread, especially since I just posted something about seegar storage to Briar Nation on FB.

Here's my Igloodor. I've had it for a long time, probably over 20 years now. The oldest box in it is mid 1990's and the newest is 2012 (the year that I started smoking a pipe). Like oldgeezersmoker, I've tried just about everything for humidification and settled on the Boveda packs. I use the 69% ones. It had been about a year since the Igloodor was last opened, and I was fully expecting to find a desiccated disaster when I opened it two days ago. Instead, I found that that the Boveda packs were still moist and the seegars were spectacular.

At the rate that I'm smoking seegars, this stash will be enjoyed by the lucky bastards that make it to my funeral.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, derhammer, dino, chefbenny