PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I have a small tupperware that I use for cigar storage. I have been buying up some sticks and it is pretty full at the moment. I a using a Xikar Propylene Glycol jar for humidification. Would it be better to move my stash to a larger container or is the smaller container better? I only smoke about 5 cigars a year so the 20+ sticks I have would be aging several years.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a cigar guy, but in most cases in storing pipe tobacco, or food in the refrigerator, the less space for extra air in the container the better things will keep. Am I wrong, or has it been more than a year since we've heard from you, hiplains'? Welcome back in any case. How are your pipes?

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Does not matter. Nothing wrong with a full box. Keep humidity constant/ temp down. Buy a cheap electronic hygrometer. Sponge, distilled water, and something to hold it in. My 2 cents- Those jars are a waste of money.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I use a large mason jar and they keep well. No humidification - watch for mold.
I smoke maybe one or two a month.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Tupperdore should be ideal for 20 sticks or so, Just make sure you open it at least once a month for air transfer, as a cigar snob I would say get a real humidor though, or at least line the container with cedar

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have a small 25 stick humidor and I use Boveda packets, just check them once a month or so and they last for 3-4 months, they take the hassle out of cigar storage for those of us who only smoke occasionally.

Oct 7, 2016
Ditto the use of the Boveda packets, have about 150 sticks or so in a couple of Tupperware containers. For over a year, they have worked perfectly.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Just a little note for those that use the Boveda humidity packets or any same type product. When they get dried out you can put them in a large gallon size plastic bag with a cup of distilled water, stand then upright and seal the bag. The packets with absorb the distilled water and in effect recharge themselves. I have been doing this for years. I'm thrifty, what can I say.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I don't smoke cigars, but my great uncle did. He left me one of these. Pretty neat thing. It will move to my new digs and be used for pipe tobacco.
35577223511_7db517106d_b_d.jpg

35539159622_138287b3b8_b_d.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
With a Tupperdore the container doesn't breath like a humidor would, so I would suggest opening it up about once a week to move some air. A few minutes to breath should be fine. Also, if you can get some Spanish cedar to put in there it will help regulate the humidity (give/take moisture). As for you humidification device its best if you have something that will give and take humidity like cigar beads etc. I use non-scented silica cat litter with water. Sounds odd, but it works really well. Boveda packs work well too if you don't want to spend the money on cigar beads. Just know that the Boveda packs will only last a few months. Note: If you only have something that gives off moisture and you don't open the container frequently then your cigars will get moldy. I use a digital thermometer and hygrometer to measure the temp and humidity level in my tupperdore. Good luck!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Cigar humidors are pretty reasonable price wise these days. Not at all like in those heady days of the cigar boom. You can buy propylene glycol at some better pharmacies by the bottle. Wet foam oasis can be found at hobby stores. Mix the PG 50/50 with distilled water, saturate the oasis and you're pretty close to 70% RH. Those Credo things can also be used. Otherwise, I recommend putting some cedar in the tupperware to absorb the humidity. Use the money you save by not buying the Bovida etc things and in no time, you'll be shopping for a humidor on eBay.
Mike S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
nevadablue, what an interesting tobacco safe. It looks similar in design to an old ice box. What does the manufacturer's plate say?

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Yes, that's it. Those pics are off the net, but mine is just like it. Even the door latch looks 'ice box'. It also has a tray which seems to have held the moisture wick or whatever it had originally.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Cigar snob here. Your sticks will be perfectly fine in a Tupperware container. The more full/smaller the space the better. There is no better way to humidify cigars than Boveda packs. Personally, I prefer 72% packs. I would not recommend using a sponge. WAY too difficult to keep the humidity down and at a safe level that way. I have tried everything. Beads, sponges, gel, etc. and nothing compares to the Boveda packs. Completely maintenance free, and your cigars will smoke like a dream and never mold.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Air tight with Boveda is the way to go. Don't waste your money on an expensive humidor. Plus, unless you are willing to spend several hundred on a solid cedar plank humidor, most are total Chinese garbage plywood boxes with a 1mm lining of Spanish cedar. Ripoff!

Status
Not open for further replies.