PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never owned a Tsuge pipe, but I have long watched their offerings on smokingpipes.com

and other online retailers. A few years ago at SP, there were long strings of moderately priced

pipes classified as brandy, pot, and bulldogs, all offered at less than $80, if I remember correctly.

These seemed to sell well. Then there were a steady steam of higher level pipes, hand carved,

that ran up in price to hundreds of dollars, some beautiful pieces. Lately, the low-end pipes have

disappeared completely, and the mid-levels have gone very much toward cylindrical stack and

horizontal cylinders designated as pots (although it is certainly a new take on that shape to me).

I've always understood Japan as a strongly rooted traditional society, with strong urges toward

modernity but often referencing the past. These shifts feel like precipitous shifts to move with

the market. Does anyone have any insight on Tsuge pipes and what has motivated their design

and marketing changes? New ownership; new philosophy; new design team; marketing concerns?

The Japanese and Chinese markets are insatiable for high end pipes. Apparently, there is a growing demand amongst younger, urban, wealthy Asians for Western influences. In an interview, I heard that many of the highest end collectors don't smoke at all. They have driven the prices of some Danish pipe makers upwards into the tens of thousands of dollars. Why? Heck, who knows why people collect what they collect?
Making cheaper factory pipes, diversifies your customer base. But, at some point a company may become very successful in the high end market, they may want to eliminate the cheaper products that take time and materials away from the high end products. I don't know if this is what is happening to Tsuge, but it could happen. But, it makes sense to make changes to make more money, as opposed to just getting cheap pipes into more people's hands.
Honestly, I really like their pipes that integrate metals. They are also very cheap, very affordable, IMO.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cosmicfolklore, that is an astute and well-reasoned theory! I especially like the idea that this is

a directly market driven change and not just an effort to create a different market. That seems

highly likely to me. Also an excellent point about how they have remained within reach, in price,

to the average pipe smoker with much of their line. If anyone else has ideas or information on this

I'd really like to read them. Really sightful, cosmic, and thanks.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I actually live in Okayama, Japan and visited a rather nice Pipe and Cigar store. (wouldn't call it a B&M) They seemed to have pretty close ties with the Tsuge company saying they regularly went out with the owners. From what I heard there is a new apprentice pipe maker. A woman at that! (pretty cute too) It was just a quick conversation though and all in Japanese so please take what I say with a grain of salt. Next time I go I'll ask more questions and take a notepad!
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Ikebana This link talks about her.

May 31, 2012
mso - you're right about those less than $80 Tsuges that SP had, they sold like hotcakes, I even got myself one.

It was a Mizki like this,

tsuge40312.jpg

f5t2482p9145n1.jpg

...it was exactly the same as the Tom Eltang designed Stanwell shape 181, I mean a direct copy, same proportions and everything, I had both of them and was astomished at how faithful the Tsuge was to the Stanwell.
I just think a Stateside vendor is yet to carry the full range of Tsuge for some reason, I don't know why, if they came in that one wave at SP and sold like hotcakes, why wouldn't they continue to carry them? The only reason I can think of is because Tsuge may have thought they were "watering down" their high end image on the American market? I know the cheap Mizki gave me a bad impression, it tasted bad, and I ended up selling it. Just a thought.

:

:

But, I like their metal pipes despite that bad experience...

tg45300_0.jpg

p1n24.jpg

...reminds me I need to maybe pick one up.

:

:

I've also been thinking about getting one of their 22mm Tasting billiards, available fairly cheap,

http://www.amazon.com/Tsuge-pipe-tasting-Black-40892/dp/B005YSPL16

:

:

About the female carver...

p2n60-2.jpg

...here's a neat little write up of Asami Kikuchi,

http://www.smokingpipes.com/blog/1/2013/11/Kikuchi-New-Tsuge-Ikebana-Carver.cfm

:

:

I'm not sure about the history of Tsuge, but I know on their home market they span the gamut from ultra high grade handmades all the way down to extremely cheap blister packed pipes.

tgs-70020-1.jpg

img60930047.jpg

I tried to find copies of their older catalogs to compare to the new one (they make fabulous catalogs) but I couldn't come across any, here's the new one, I'd love to have a printed paper copy!

http://www.tsugepipe.co.jp/catalogue.html
And since we're talking about Japan,

here's a bit of comix.

20131224saku05_cs1e1_480x.jpg

20131224saku06_cs1e1_480x.jpg

20131224saku09_cs1e1_480x.jpg

20131224saku013a_cs1e1_480x.jpg

20131224saku014_cs1e1_480x.jpg

20131224saku016_cs1e1_476x.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
This is an interesting thread. When I think of Tsuge pipes, I only picture more modern styles -- like the blowfish. Had no idea they've had much more diverse range.
Bob

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
If I recall correctly, the cheaper line of pipes werent intended for the US market. Seems like SP mentioned at the time that all those lower end Tsuges was a one time kind of a deal.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I've got a little Tsuge bent egg from a line called Kaga that I've been able to find nothing about. They were like $80-$120 at Iwan Ries, as I recall, but I haven't seen any other than there.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I bought a Mizki, I like it. I wish I would have bought a sandblast to match.

tsuge-1113-600x448.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.