PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Hi guys,
I have recently seen the Tsuge Thunderstorm and Blowfish in the windoows of a near B&M, and found the design appealing. They also seem to be crafted very well, but this comes at a price. Has anyone experience with these pipes? They seem to have a small diameter, but deep bowls, so what would you smoke in it and how do they smoke? Do they get hot, and leave a lot of dottle? I understand, that they are only for a short smoking break, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Thanks,

Peter

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Peck Got himself one of those thunderstorms i bet he will come in and give his two cents on it, or at least i hope he does because every since i saw him post it (first time seeing it) i have wanted one. awesome looking pipes and i would use it out in the bush always.
As far as the small bowl i don't see it as an issue i have a few small bowls and as long as they are built right and smoked properly they should not get to hot. as a matter of fact i have a cheap little Wally Frank Short Snorter i got as a gift from one of the members and its my favorite pipe to smoke. Lasts 15-25mins and does not get hot at all.

Dec 24, 2012
I have a thunderstorm and a tankard. They are good little pipes. Because they are easy to break down and carry, I take one with me when I want a relatively short smoke. The Thunderstorm has gotten a bit hot a time or two, though that is diminishing I think as I build up a bit of cake in the bowl, but it's probably always going to get somewhat hot because it does have a metal cover. They look cool as shit though. I do worry about the quality of the vulcanite - the tankard did start to oxidize slightly not long after I got it, so I cleaned it up and use the obsidian oil on that pipe more frequently than others (haven't had this issue with the thunderstorm, yet).

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I have the Blowfish, and it's no hotter than any other pipe. There's a lot more briar there to make it look cool, however I do have a tankard that gets hotter than usual. For the amount of time you are smoking it, and because they both are quite light, I'm not too worried. I agree with Peck that the stems need a bit of care surprisingly.
Shutterbug

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Thanks for your answers. I also like the cool looks of both, and the fact, that is totally different to the usual pipe design. Still, the most important property of a pipe is to me, how it smokes. I will probably visit the B&M tomorrow and see, if one of them really calls to me, when I handle it.
The Vulcanite is no problem for me. I have a lot of pipes, which need a good polish regulary. The good thing is, that I like Vulcanite better for clenching.
Regards,

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.