PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
As most of you know I don't tend to spend a lot of money on pipes. I like to look for the best for less as far as pipes go. So naturally most of my pipes are estate pipes.
Ok, to the subject at hand, I've never bought a Tsuge pipe as I've never found one I liked that I could afford. To my surprise a seller on eBay was listing some Tsuge Tasting 21 straight sandblasted billiard pipes. I'd never heard of them before, so I looked them up and they seem to be just an inexpensive plain jane pipe for tobacco tasting. I guess they were left over from some type of tasting event or some such, and looked to have been smoked about one time. This normally $50-60 pipe he was selling for $20 each plus free shipping! I realize this is not a great pipe, but it is a really nicely made pipe. The fit and finish is immaculate, and the drilling is spot on. The billiard is one of my favorite shapes, and the black sandblast on this looks very rich. The acrylic stem is well finished as was the button and slot. It's a decent size pipe as well, not some little pipe with a small capacity. It measures 5.75 inches long and the bowl is 1.75 inches tall with a 3/4 inch opening.
Needless to say, being my anal old self, I just had to get some Tsuge tobacco to smoke in it. P&C's summer sale had great prices on the Tsuge tobaccos, at about 50% off. I ended up getting two of their aromatic blends because they didn't sound horrible and were lightly flavored. I also picked up a couple of the non-aro blends to try. I've only smoked one of the aro blends so far, The First Days of Spring, which was quite nice. In fact it reminded me a little of Rattray's Exotic Orange but with more of a berry flavor rather than orange.
So my first foray into Tsuge pipes and tobaccos is pretty positive so far. Even at $50-60 dollars for the pipe, you can't go wrong, the pipe is just that good! Can't wait to try the other Tsuge blends perhaps in a pipe that isn't (gasp) a Tsuge... :mrgreen:
img_1290-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orely, I bought one of those Tsuge tasting pipes, the same one, for $39.99 at PC. I paid about twice what you did, but I think it's worth every penny. The fit and finish on these is something else. I don't think I'm self-deluding to say that I prefer this to some of the pricey Tsuge's -- like I'm not really fond of the metal tankards or the gloss finish pipes painted with flowers that cost a lot of money. I'm not sure why these were made, but it was the Tusge I wanted, a Japanese pipe for my stable.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
I have that same Tsuge pipe. 8)
I liked it when I got it, and was surprised how deep and wide the bowl was. But I decided it was just too heavy due to the large bowl, so I cut the bowl down to almost half size and it's perfect now. Light weight and streamlined, but still large enough for a 30 minute smoke.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have some Tsuge tins in my cellar but I've yet tried one. Soon.
This Tsuge tankard just arrived. It's my third Tsuge pipe and I've been enjoying it as much as the others.
j5f5eFy.jpg

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Tuold, start with the Spring on Orley's say so.

I would let the Winter's Embrace age for a couple generations. It didn't even rise to the level of Bob's Chocolate Vietnamese Pigtailed Macaque Poop

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
I have some Tsuge tins in my cellar but I've yet tried one. Soon.
This Tsuge tankard just arrived. It's my third Tsuge pipe and I've been enjoying it as much as the others.
j5f5eFy.jpg
Damn. And I thought my Tsuge billiard was too heavy before I modified the bowl.
Try clenching that one and your dentures will fall out for sure! :mrgreen:
...and a thumb ring with the leftover. [:rofl:]
:lol:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It looks heavier than it actually is! Only weighs in at one ounce. I'm thinking of getting the version with the slide up wind screen next.

Status
Not open for further replies.