PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam

Lurker
Aug 15, 2012
Does anybody know what the warranty on the Tsubota Pearl lighters is? Most of the sites of the retailers that carry them say it's one year, but Radica Pipes claims it's a lifetime warranty. I wrote to ask them about it, but they didn't reply (which raises an additional issue - if they don't answer a prospective customer, I don't expect a better response if the lighter needs to be repaired). Tsubota hasn't answered my direct e-mail, either. I'm trying to decide between a Pearl and a Corona, which definitely has a lifetime warranty. The problem with the Coronas is that most of the posts on various forums amount to "great warranty, great customer service - and you're going to need to make use of it very often". Thanks!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I would still go with the Corona. I have several but only one of the new models (the upgraded version). I don't see much difference between the old and new. The new was the matte black and finish has worn off a great deal, even though it is supposed to be five times stronger. I just carried it in my pocket by itself. Personally, I like the look of the black matte with the brass showing thru.
That said, I had a Pipe Master that broke after about ten years and the pewter model that was a pain to light. I sent all three in for repair. The new one I had dropped a couple times and bent the flint tube and flint wheel. It took them about 8 weeks to get back to me but I was happy.
I had the repairs done thru Smokingpipes as that is where I got the matte black. Corona replaced the wheel and flint tube with no charge. The Pipe Master had a complete overhaul including replacing the piezo electric ignition system. The charge for that was $15 because they replaced the tamp for me (I had lost it). The peter one had a total overhaul as well including a new flint wheel put on and some other stuff. No cost. So, three lighters repaired with two of them being a decade old for $15. Not bad.
I also have the silver striped version. I ran it thru the washer by mistake and it came out in parts. Sent it in and they fixed it up but it seems to have a small leak as I need to refill it every couple days. This was done a few years ago but its also approaching a decade in age and still works.
The other one I have is a gold plated Pipe Master. It has never been sent in for repair but is leaking as I need to refill it about every day. Its also a decade old or so.
Most places offer a lifetime warranty if you purchase it thru them and will handle everything if you return it to them for repair. I recommend SmokingPipes because they have great service but any reputable retailer should be able to hook you up.
I never had the other lighter you mentioned but maybe others have and can attest to the quality/service. If you do go for the Corona, I would recommend not getting any fancy finish on it and to use Zippo flints as they seem to be the hardest out there. The Corona flints are OK, I just seem to have better strikes with the Zippo. Ronco flints are worse than the Corona.

Status
Not open for further replies.