PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I bought the Tsubota Bolbo lighter about a year ago. Was real happy with it. Treated it with kid gloves, only to find that the chrome column holding the cap that sits above the gas port swivels 360 degrees!?! Thinking there was a tightening screw underneath, I disassembled the top, held by one Phillips set screw. Unfortunately the column is held tight underneath by a tiny soldering spot, which in mine has come loose. Anyone else experience any problems with their Tsubota lighters? Anyone have an email for Tsubota repairs?
IMAG1290-1.jpg

IMAG1291-1-1.jpg

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks Roth. I threw the paperwork away, thinking I'd never have to face this problem. Was hoping for a US contact. I'd hate to have to go through Japan for this. Oh well, live & learn. Now, where's that Bic lighter...

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
They have a UD Fistributor I just can't recall who it is. Email pipetobacco.com and they should tellyou

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
I emailed that info@tsubotapearl.co.jp when I had an issue with mine and they promptly sent a new part for me. I'm not sure if you would have to send the lighter to japan for them to fix or of they'd just ship a new one out to you but I hope it all works out.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks gents. I'll give it a shot. If you unscrew the top deck of the Bolbo, you'll see the column holding the cap extending down quite some distance down into the lighter. So much so that it displaces quite a bit of blank space above the storage tank. Perhaps 10% of the lighter is nonfunctional, minimizing the butane storage tank's capacity. I have no idea from an engineering standpoint why this was done. Again thinking there's a set screw mechanism in place to secure the column I tried turning it in a vice, but no go. It simply swivels around freely. Under a loop you can see the broken single soldering spot. For a hundred dollar lighter I was pretty surprised by how cheap it looks under deck. In contrast the Corona Old Boy under deck looks like a miniature submarine, complete with multiple o rings and several set screws. Very disappointed with the Tsubota.

Status
Not open for further replies.