Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
Good Morning All,

We just cut down a large oak tree from the yard - I have my two sons ( 8 and 10 ) outside

this morning picking out and cutting some nice 6-7" diameter logs 2.5-3" depths for some

ashtray projects - stay tuned in this post to see how their work is progressing - we are

planning hatchet hand rusticated edges on these ashtrays, should be a great project and

keeps the boys off the electronics, hehe - a great father and sons Sunday woodworking

project. I could also use some new bowls for keeping bacci in - it should keep the

boys busy all day today

Jul 12, 2011
This should be a great project. It looks like the boys have a few cuts done...going to take some pics

now for uploading. I'm going good to start the first ashtray's hatchet rustication that I would like them to replicate

on the next few cuts.

Jul 12, 2011
These are looking great so far IMHO - Since we have some nice 6.5-7" diameter on these bad boys they are also looking like we can

cut 4 finger on these cuts - perfect :puffy: I'm going to break out the chainsaw since we also have some nice 2' chunks - perfect for some cutting blocks - I have one reserved for my cigar rolling workspace
1st cuts

1stcut-337x600.jpg

2nd phase rustication

2ndphase-337x600.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
I'm thinking we are going to hit with some stains for added visuals
I'm having the boys do all these initial cuts and work with just some basic tools - hand saw, woodworking chisels, and sand paper etc. to really appreciate the hard work and end results - I will then perhaps cut them some slack and get some chainsaw discs for angle grinder, sanding and polishing motor, etc. - I could use some new tools, hehe :puffy:

Jul 12, 2011
Here is phase 3, not bad IMHO - I think the boys did a great job here ( only using a hand saw and hatchet ) - used some Black and Tan pipe stain, they added some rustication using a hatchet. I need to snag an angle grinder with chainsaw disc to help quickly carve out the bowls for them on our next project. :puffy:
tsd-oakashtrayphase31-600x337.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks Ashdigger - a bonus is that if I drop this thing it will survive without a scratch, hehe - if dropped on foot...well the foot might not survive :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.