Pipes Magazine » Pipes Accessories

Tags:  No tags yet. 

TSA-approved Pipe Tools??

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

unclemax

Login to Send PM

Hey guys.. First time flying as a pipe smoker. Which pipe tools get the "ok" while going thru security?? Flying domestic, US. Thx all!

Posted 8 months ago #
  2. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

Skip any cutting tools, everything else is a ok. I get my carry on bag personally checked half of the time. I carry a tin or two and pack 5 tobaccos in paper tightly in each tin. The last agent said it looked weird. Then said it smelled good after inspection

Posted 8 months ago #
  3. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Your finger. That's about it. One airport may let your Czech tool go by and another one will confiscate it. I've had that happen.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 8 months ago #
  4. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

I’ve carried soft flamed lighters and tampers on planes for years with no problems

Posted 8 months ago #
  5. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had recent luck placing my pipe tool- a real one, with cutting edge for reaming and a pick for the stem- in my dopp kit in my carryon suitcase. Same one they confiscated when it was on my person a year ago.

Safer to put a golf tee in your pocket!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

unclemax

Login to Send PM

Thank-you, all. I figured that anything w/a blade was a no-go. Wasn't sure about Czech tools w/just a poker, the lil' scooper, and tamper. I'm leaving my lighters at home.

Now about my pipe bag (which I need to order asap!!)... How do I prevent it from making everything else in the carry-on smell? And do you guys have preferred (brands/mfrs) pipe bags?? I just have an old Jobey that's too small for multiple pipes. Thanks again, guys!

Posted 8 months ago #
  7. thewanderingdude

thewanderingdude

Login to Send PM

I have taken Czech tools many times through TSA with no problem. However, just in case, I always bring some golf tees which are fantastic and cheap pipe tools.

Posted 8 months ago #
  8. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Czech tools have gone through for me, and pipe nails. My harmonica was inspected since it looked like a pistol clip going through the X-ray. I wouldn't try any of the penknife looking pipe tools. They're nice and they could get taken. I threatened to play the harmonica, and they called the SWAT team. Kidding of course.

Posted 8 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

cfreud

Login to Send PM

I've never had an issue with a Czech tool and I fly with my pipes all the time.

Posted 8 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   spartan99, bayareabriar, smudgersmissingleg, frankrem, pitchfork, rodo, ashdigger, cshubhra, oldgeezersmoker, 3rdguy, marc75