PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Hi folks,
I met up last week with forum member "pruss" - he has some pipes from a Trypis collection for sale. What a wonderful guy by the way! Anyway, I had bought from him a Grade 8 (Trypis Grades go up to 10 for his highest grade), smooth Churchwarden Dublin, looks like a group 3-4 size. I've been breaking in the pipe all weekend with Carter Hall, and let me tell you: wow, what a pipe!
The craftsmanship is absolutely perfect - the drilling is spot on, the mortise, stem, tenon fitting is absolutely perfect up to the micro-inch, top briar and very nice graining. This pipe smokes like a champ, I mean this thing is really flawless, just what a true great artisan pipe is supposed to be like. And considering the price, this was probably the best pipe deal I've ever made.
Anyhow, I've been enjoying these first five bowls a lot - the flavor that this briar imparts on Carter Hall is just out of the world delicious. And guys, if you know me, you know that I am everything but a Carter Hall fan! What I think it most surprising about this pipe is that it smokes pretty much everything I put in to fine white or grey powder, all the way to the very bottom. And we are talking about a brand new pipe with zero cake here. I can't believe it. I've gone through the pains of breaking in Dunhills and Peterson pipes and based on those experiences I was almost dreading to break in the Trypis. Little did I know that the Trypis out of the box will smoke sweeter, drier and better than any Peterson or Dunhill I own :)
You can now officially call me a big Trypis fan. Seems like you can't go wrong with pipes "made in Canada" ;-)

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
hfearly, I bought a couple off of Pat last week as well. I have a grade 6 and bought my buddy a grade 5 for his birthday (its his first pipe and he couldn't put it down, it was pretty funny). I've been smoking mine all weekend with Carter Hall as well and it is an amazing smoke. This is my second Trypis and I think I'll be buying the other freehand at our pipe club meeting on Thursday. They are great smokers and you are correct an amazing deal. And yes Pat is a fantastic guy who has helped me with spurring on the development of our club. Enjoy your pipe, I know I will.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Brdavidson: good call! I'd say get one while you can. And, a 500$ artisan pipe for less than 100 bucks is a steal! Especially when it smokes like a 1,000$ pipe.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Hfearly,
Glad to hear that you got a great pipe and that is smokes great. I saw all of those pictures that Pat posted and it was quite a nice haul. Glad that he got those into the hands of some guys that will take good care of them :)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I am SO glad to hear that your churchwarden is such a marvelous smoker!
As I've been telling anyone who will listen, it's my hope to find loving homes for these wonderful pipes. That they have provided me the chance to connect in person with our broader forum community has been an added boon.
It was a pleasure to meet you hfearly, I'm only sorry that time wouldn't allow for a longer meeting, and a shared smoke. Next time I come up to Ottawa for sure... and the coffee is on me.
-- Pat
[EDIT] PS - Let's see a pic or two of your new friend with a burning bowl!

Status
Not open for further replies.