PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
So a couple of months ago, two of my back teeth started hurting very badly. Came to find out that they only hurt this way when I was drinking soda. I had been a soda drinker all my life. So in the interest of pain relief, I quit drinking soda until I could get to the dentist. Got the dental work done, and a week after, I went to go take a drink of soda, and I just about threw up. I couldn't stomach the stuff anymore. After another week, I came to find that most any type of "sweets" (cookies, candy, etc.) also made me feel this way, so I just stopped eating them. I'd started having more energy, and one day my sister and I started talking about things that were healthy for us. She has been a runner for years and she asked me, "You ever thought about going walking or even jogging? Even a little bit every day would be good for you."
Turns out she was right. Over the last several weeks, I have sworn off soda and junk food, started eating more fresh veggies and fruits, and I am now up to jogging 2.5 miles at a time anywhere from 4 to 5 days a week, which most people find surprising for a guy my size (don't know if you can tell from my avatar, but I'm not exactly the smallest guy in the world). In these past few weeks, I've started to feel better at 26 years of age than I did when I was 16. My knees and ankles feel so much better, I have WAY better lung capacity, I have a ton of energy every day, I sleep better at night, and I just generally feel really good. Just wanted to share the steps that I have taken in my quest to lead a healthier lifestyle. What do you guys do to try and stay healthy?

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
I smoke a pipe and yank at bass guitar strings to keep the stress down, which as I am told, is the number one killer of men!

Jul 15, 2011
to keep the stress down, which as I am told, is the number one killer of men!
That's one of the other things I like about jogging (and by extension, lifting weights, which I have also started doing a few times a week), is that it makes a good outlet for the negative energy in my life. Fiancee's medical problems, car problems, boss is an asshole. When I feel like I want to punch someone, jogging and weight lifting is a way to redirect those bad vibes and turn it into something positive. I hear you on the bass playing, I played guitar for a number of years, still do on occasion.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That is awesome! Keep up the great work. At 42 and 175 lbs I feel better than I did 18 months ago weighing in at 273 lbs. I'd go as far as to say, I haven't felt this good in years. Good job buddy. Congrats!

Jul 15, 2011
Good job buddy. Congrats!
Thanks Chris. The thread you posted some time ago about weight loss was actually one of the many catalysts that started this journey, so you deserve a lot of thanks.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Pipe Novelist, good for you and even better that you are looking to turn things around at a young age. I traveled the world on business for over 30 years and ate my way across several continents until I reited in 2008. At that time I was 6'2" and 290 ponds. I started walking with a buddy every morning and now I'm a 220 lb and working on losing more. Then the capper is that I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a year ago so that's extra incentive to "walk" a straighter path; at least somewhat.

at the end of the day your health is your most valuable asset so keep up the good work. I know it can be tough at times but, hey, at your age you can still shoot for "Babe Magnet" status. At my age(61)I'm just shooting for 62.

The feel payoff is when you get to chuck the bigger size cloths for stuff you can buy at regular stores.

Jul 15, 2011
The feel payoff is when you get to chuck the bigger size cloths for stuff you can buy at regular stores
I've already had to buy a new belt because the last one wasn't doing it's job properly. LOL.
As far as "babe magnet" status, I don't know if I'll be hitting that mark anytime soon, but the fiancee says she notices a difference, so that's always a good thing.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Pipe Novelist keep it up and congrats! I too as of late have been eating better and lost 10 lbs. I still have a long way to go, but I have had only 3 or 4 soft drinks(tastes funny/not so good now as well) in the last month and I have not missed them.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks Chris. The thread you posted some time ago about weight loss was actually one of the many catalysts that started this journey, so you deserve a lot of thanks.
I'm glad that post helped Eric. It really is amazing how much a better a person feels both mentally and physically once ya get into it.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
As you get older carrying weight becomes more and more of an issue. My mom had a fall and hurt her knee badly about a year ago and it was the wake up call she finally needed. She has since dropped 92 pounds through diet and simple excercise and, in the process, managed to reduce most of her medications significantly.
I was never super heavy, but dropped down about 25 pounds maybe eight or nine years back and it makes a difference. I try to eat and drink sensibly on the vast majority of days so I can occaionally have a dinner out and not worry about what I eat. High cholosterol runs in my mom and dad's side of the family. It's been creeping up the last few years, but, with daily excercise, omega-3 oil and a sensible diet, I've managed to stay off the statin drugs that my dad was already on at this point in his life.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
A couple of years ago I went from a flabby 210 down to a much healthier 185. My knees and ankles have never felt better.
I follow a modified "cave man" diet -- mainly I avoid breads, sugars and other simple carbs that cause insulin spikes. I eat various meats, nuts and cheeses, plus plenty of fruits and vegetables, but I eat all other carbs in very small doses in order to avoid the roller-coaster of high then low blood sugar. It's amazing the difference it makes --- I have so much more energy throughout the day and while I get hungry, my blood sugar stays relatively constant. And without really monitoring how much I eat, I've maintained a healthy weight. It's somewhat controversial in some circles, but I feel much, much healthier than when I used to eat "normal" meals like cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, etc.
BTW, congrats and best of luck, Pipenovelist.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Great to hear PN.
I used to travel for work and that's when I began to put on weight. I wouldn't class myself as fat, exactly, but considering that I weighed 160 at age 25, I was over weight.
I've been slowly trying to get into better shape. I used to use a treadmill until my ankle went out on me. Now I use a spin bike. I don't drink soda (except cranberry and seltzer). I am not much of a eater, but trying to still watch what I eat.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Glad to hear of your diet changes. Keep on with the fruits and veggies, stay off the refined sugar and soda. I've lost 25 podunds that way, and my diabetes is under control now. Loosing a little weight has huge benefits for your body, the more you shed the easier it is to loose more. Keep up the good work.

Aug 14, 2012
Running is great, but after a while running on pavement wears down your knees and other joints. I am down from 6 miles a day to zero. I got my father running in his early 60s and he lasted until 95. Soda destroys the bone density and makes you vulnerable to osteoporosis. A recent study said slightly overweight people last longer than skinny ones. I have taken this to heart and enjoyed becoming maybe 5 lbs. overweight. Spicy foods like hot pepper, garlic and horseradish are good for the heart. If you get a heart attack chug-a-lug some hot sauce. It opens up the blood vessels. Overall the Mediterranean diet is best, with lots of garlic, tomato and olive oil. Tomatoes help prevent prostate trouble, even catsup and pizza. Have some tomato every day, and lots of olive oil. And don't forget to take your omega fish oil to lower cholesterol. Keep sugars, salt and precooked food to a minimum. Avoid Kraft macaroni & cheese. It has a carcinogenic food dye. Stay away from any chemical preparations such as glues and varnishes that smell really really awful. They are carcinogenic too. And don't buy a house with vinyl siding for the same reason. Vinyl is also very flammable and could get you burnt alive in a fire. I won't discuss motorcycles and pipesmoking, good health has it's limits.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Couple miles from my house is the 0.5 mile town oval / track. I try to get out there at least three times a week. And I fast walk 10 times for a five mile walk. I've been doing this for almost five years now. Listen to NPR radio, and the time flies. I can do the ten laps in about 60 minutes, so a 12 min. mile. It's a fast walk. Come rain or shine I'll put my hour in. At 53 I weigh 185lbs. and never felt better. Blood work spot on. I really recommend walking. Not running which ruins the knees. Walking at any speed for any distance is the way to start. Get a pedometer and walk the numbers. I always say walk as if your life depended on it. As you progressively begin to walk faster and longer, you'll really be surprised at how much better you feel, on all levels. You'll also realize you gain a tremendous amount of energy and sense of well being.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I'm 63, and just went to the doctor. He said that he wished his 40 year olds were as healthy as I am.
What do I do? Have 2-3 drinks a night, smoke a pipe occasionally, eat red meat, fried foods, and potatoes. I also love vegetables, fish, salads and water. I walk all day at work, come home and work some more. A lot of it is genes - I was blessed with good ones.
PN: This is the hardest and most rewarding thing you'll do. Congratulations on your resolve!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Good on you PN. I have recently switched to fruits and vegetables at work and cut out ALL fast food and pop. (Chris's post kickstarted me too) I have a stressful job and have a mobile office in my truck so I'd find myself over eating all the time. For me I'd starve and stress all day then go through a drive thru and binge eat. Plus I'm saving a TON of money.
Now during work hours I eat small portions but often and then basically whatever I want when I get home. I find myself less prone to over eat at night and still can enjoy the foods I like. It isn't optimal but it's right for me and I have dropped a few belt notches and feel better.
Due to the kids and our concerns for their health we've recently started getting farm fresh eggs and buying 1/4 of a local raised and butchered cow. We aren't perfect about our eating habits but we are really trying to do better.
5 lbs or 50 lbs dropped, any healthy awareness about a person's body is a good thing IMO.
Good on you bud.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Wow, PN, what did that dentist do to you to bring about such a healthy lifestyle change? Did he implant a post-hypnotic suggestion? Or maybe it was something in the novocaine?
Whatever it was, congratulations on your commitment!

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
One thing that has enabled me to be successful is the fact that I did allow myself a treat every once in a while. To me a recipe for failure(and I have failed many times) is to deny ones self of everything they like. While losing, I let myself have a piece of chocolate(snack or fun size), a steak, or a burger and fries(small) every once in a while. That helped me a lot while losing weight. If you don't give yourself a treat every once in a while then you will quickly despise dieting and put the weight back on. often times weighing more than when you started. That is what I learned in this process anyway. I have been a fat kid all my life so I have had plenty of failures while trying to get and stay healthy. Best of luck guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.