PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
They go for ridiculous prices. Even completely wasted/broken ones. I have been trying to get a nice estate Dunhill for restoration and personal use for about 3 months now and it's freakin' impossible - after watching was has to be more than 200 auctions, I'm getting a little frustrated. Is there a current Dunhill fad or what's up with that? Even stuff with burnouts and cracked shanks goes well beyond 100$ these days. On the other hand, Preben Holm era Ben Wade handmade in Denmark go for around 20-60$, and those used to be 200$+ one or two years ago. Someone enlighten me please.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I got one for $100 and I felt like I stole it! People have a habit of bidding past retail, or even sensible resale value as an estate. Aim low and snipe. Eventually you will win.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Baron: 100$ is pretty good!
Meanwhile I'm drooling over this Savinelli Autograph 7-day set. Look at the grain *shittingpants*
Item Link

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
Dunhill - have you tried briarblues.com? there are several of them available there...

Savinelli - there are only 6 pipes in that box.....

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Stanwellman, good call - I'll go look at briarblues.com right away! To be honest, the pipe of my dreams is a Jess Chonowitsch Sandblast, but they start around 2 grand ... so ... a Dunhill has to suffice :)
Well.. actually ... THIS Howell is the pipe of my dreams, since I just absolutely love sandblasts that look like bronze casts!
howellclam.jpg

Beautiful beyond imagination!

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
I loved one of the pipes you posted with the crazy yellow and black finishes . You even posted some formulas , wish I was good enough to match one of those gorgeous contrasted finishes . I still refuse to attemp to restor the Savinelli Alligator that I dinged the rim on , droping in on the concrete :( . I wish I would have known about your wants for an estate Dunhill , since I don't fancy them much I just sold 3 for less than 300.00 . I would have given them away to fix that gator . I also have a chinrester kaywoodie all of my friends like , and one of the idiots snapped the end of the stem . I will soon post about it on the restoration thread :(..

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nasty Dunhills do seem to be bringing impossibly high prices lately. This vendor seems to have a nice, decently priced collection and has a good reputation in the community:

http://www.estatebriarpipes.dk/dunhill.html
I was also watching this Autograph set. Getting an Autograph, vulcanite stem, no filter era, is on my pipe need list.
$T2eC16F,!)sE9swm(sR6BQqOy-G+SQ~~60_3.JPG

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I was lurking the Dunhill auctions for quite awhile and was pretty much frustrated the whole time. Sometimes the price would nearly double in the last few minutes. The one that I did win, which I won for under $100, I sniped it. After taking a break from eBay, I happened to check it out one day and saw one that looked decent (and it is) and was at a relatively low bid with less than 10 minutes to go. I didn't bid right away, but I got my max bid ready then dropped it with seconds to go. Turned out I didn't even have to bid my max, unbelievably no one else was sniping.
Anyways, I think it was about just getting lucky rather than any bidding skills. I haven't come close to winning another Dunhill since then.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
hang ih there jfearly. you will get one at some point. i would like to own a dunhill myself someday sir. keep it up. i currently bidding on 3 or 4 charatans. good luck to you. i do own a savinelli autogragh, i love it.
take care.
mike.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Cigrmaster: 0-120$, depending on grain, shape, condition, age, etc. I just can't get myself to pay 500-800$ for a new Dunhill - it's a mass produced pipe with a big name. That amount of money better goes to a true artisan pipe crafter who did all the labour by hand, and who produces a truely unique piece of art.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It can take a while to get a nice Dunhill for 120 or below. You might want to think about saving until you can hit the 200.00 range, I think your options will be far greater. I agree about spending 500 plus for a Dunhill, I would never do it and there are just way too many great artisan pipes for way less.

Status
Not open for further replies.