Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Hello Friends - Some time back, Brian mentioned on the radio show that he will sometimes pack and do the charring light the night before, for pipes he will smoke the next day. I only smoke two bowls per day, one in the morning and one in the eve. Lately I have been trying this out. When I finish my morning pipe, I prep my evening pipe and set on the shelf, and vice versa. Then, when the time comes, I just pick it up and head for the porch. Thus far, it seems that this results in a better burn and fewer relights, and I notice no detrimental effects on the flavor. It's also quite nice to have a prepared pipe ready and waiting.
Do any of you prep pipes and set aside for later?
Peace,

Bill

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Yes, absolutely. If I have a whole evening of pipe smoking ahead (bliss!) I will prepare three pipes as Mr Pease describes. Usually a Revor Plug, followed by G+H Dark Flake, with a Black XX, or similar, to finish.
I like the idea of prepping them the night before, but by the time I've finished the Black XX I'm too intoxicated to speak, let alone prepare pipes - I just fall into bed!!

gamecockpiper

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
I do too! I smoke a mini MM cob or maybe half a bowl from my Grabow about once a week at school, and I'll often do the charring light when I can see during the day (I prefer to smoke and walk about at night, less people and much quieter.)Then I properly fire up when I go out hours or sometimes days later. It does seem to smoke better at times that way now you mention it...strange.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I rarely do this myself (lack of patience), but one of our club members has published articles in both P&T and the TPC on doing this. He calls it the "delayed gratification method". As he describe it, letting the pipe set out with the tobacco in the bowl permits the tobacco to dry out which intensifies the flavor.
Sometimes you can't wait a day as you are somewhere other than your normal smoking location. You can load the tobacco, give it a good charring light, gently tamp it, and let it set for ten minutes or so.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I will do this if I'm going on a long drive. Load up 3-6 bowls and have them all ready to go. Otherwise, I've normally got 3-4 tins open, and not sure which I'll be reaching for the next day, so I avoid this as a general practice.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I do this on occasion. It works well. But most of time I don't know which tobacco I'm in the mood for. I'd hate to load a pipe the night before and wake up wanting something completely different. But I have found that drying the tobacco has made for a more pleasurable smoke.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Yes, me too! I often prepare some pipes in advance that I plan to smoke later when it might be inconvenient to do the full preparation ritual. These pipe corks have been by far my favorite DIY accessory to enable this practice:
pipecorks2.jpg

I've posted about them earlier ("Look what my hubby made for me").

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I'm doing this today as a matter of fact. Loaded up a pipe early this morning with some Escudo, did a quick charring light, and plan to fire it up in an hour or so from now...

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Try to to do this every night before I go to bed, so I don't have to do it in the morning.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never done this as I am pretty much retired and have the time to prep my pipes at my leisure. If it works for you and you are enjoying it then keep at it.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I have been prepping my bowls like this for years.

The " pipe corks " are a great idea.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't do this routinely because, as someone mentioned, I like the whim of being able to choose

the pipe and tobacco at the moment. But I do enjoy pre-packing a pipe now and then. I don't use

the pipe corks because I find that I like the tobacco to dry out a little. It seems to me it improves the

smoke, unless the tobacco is very dry to begin with. I also will let a pipe go out and come back to it

once or twice, if there are interruptions.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
The only time I ever do this is when I'm going to have a bowl of a pressed tobacco (ie flakes, cakes etc.). More specifically with SPC Mississippi River. I'll pack the bowl and let it sit over night or for the day and then smoke it later. I don't do the charring light though.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Yes! Like lostandfound I pack and put a good char on a couple of pipes the night before. With Virginias, I find that the bite is lessened considerably by allowing them to sit overnight. The DGT produces a great smoke.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Yes, I do it. I pack a bowl the night before work because when I get up in the morning I'm out the door pretty quick. I enjoy half on the way to work and the other half on the way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.