PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
As I've mentioned on the forums before, I'm a recently converted cigar smoker. My goal over the next few months is to sample a bunch of different tobaccos before I start making any bulk tobacco purchases. So far I've tried 3 generic Cavendish blends that I picked up from a local tobacco shop, two different Lane Limited blends and a Newminster sample.
I liked the Newminster that I received last week so much that I ordered three more Newminster blends yesterday along with two McClelland's. I am only picking up an ounce of these new blends so I can try them and see if I like them. I think I'll keep purchasing these small samples for the next few months at least until I find a good grouping of tobaccos that I like.
My question to the group here is how much will my sampling be affected by the fact that I only have two pipes at the moment? I've seen several posts where people recommend only smoking one type of tobacco per pipe. I've also seen posts by people that seem to smoke the same pipe day in and day out.
I experimented a bit over the last few days with my favorite blend so far (Newminster No.23 Blackberry Brandy). I do find that it tastes a bit different if I have a few bowls of that in a row verses smoking that after another tobacco.
I realize that I could just purchase more pipes, but I really only find myself attracted to the briars and other hardwood pipes. At a cost $100 to $250 per pipe for the ones that I like I don't see myself purchasing more than one of those a month.
Would it make sense to purchase a dozen cheap corn cob pipes to use while I'm sampling tobacco? Could I get by with just cleaning out my existing briar pipes after each smoke to get a good sample of the tobacco's I'm trying out.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm new as well and I've learned thus far that my palate isn't sophisticated enought to pick up hints of previously smoked tobaccos. I have one I'm using to test nonaros and one for aromatics. I can see myself eventually using more for spicific blends, but till I find out which blends I'll regularly smoke, I find two is plenty when cleaned after use.... But I'm new so what do I know :wink:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
A good way to test blends without ghosting a briar is to get 2 or 3 Missouri Meerschaums. They are cheap, durable and less likely to ghost. Cobs really shine with burley blends and they require little attention. Besides, you may actually like them.

Good luck with your new adventures.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Would it make sense to purchase a dozen cheap corn cob pipes to use while I'm sampling tobacco?
Yes - the "Grab Bag" deal from Missouri Meerschaum is a steal. Even if you're one of those who can taste the corn cob itself, you'll at least get a baseline using the same basic material while evaluating your tobacco preferences.
I found in my own tastings that subtle ghosting can, indeed, throw a flavor profile off - especially if you're evaluating aromatic tobaccos at all. I broke in a particular pipe using Prince Albert, and the first time I tried another tobacco in that pipe, it reminded me of PA - so I smoked the next bowl in a fresh cob, and it tasted completely different.
If you're working your way through non-aromatics, the differences may be less obvious, but there again it's probably not a bad idea to stick with one "family" in a given pipe, or set of pipes, until such time as you're familiar enough with the blend to enjoy it in whatever pipe you feel like smoking. At least, that's my operating theory and I'm sticking with it.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Agreed. Get some Missouri Meerschaum corn cobs and you won't have to worry about ghosting your pipes. Cobs are a great way to sample tobacco, and for the price they're an awesome pipe. The grab bag is a good deal. I bought one a while back and their is really no difference between a MM 1st and a 2nd from the grab bag. Though if you don't want to pick up 10+ pipes you can just grab a one or two from any B&M shop. Have fun sampling.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
phred said, "it's probably not a bad idea to stick with one "family" in a given pipe, or set of pipes, until such time as you're familiar enough with the blend to enjoy it in whatever pipe you feel like smoking." I completely agree. I find that if I smoke something in a pipe that is used to some other tobacco, the favor of the previous blend, though not really a ghost, as ghosts are persistent through time, and some can never be persuaded to leave, still must be overcome by 3 or 4 smokes of the new tobacco, to make it sing. So phred's counsel to dedicate by tobacco family is well put.
Cobs are a great addition to any stable. My only caution is that it's hard to get a smoke lasting more than a half hour. But if you want to smoke more, reload.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on the cobs. They offer an inexpensive way to sample various blends while tilting the expense toward the tobacco rather than the pipe. And don't overlook Old Dominion cobs--they offer a great smoke.

hogwild

Lurker
Nov 18, 2011
Just by way of intro- I am a new member with about 45yrs pipe experience. I have tried way too many styles of tobacco looking for that magic one. Balkans were my fav in the early years after I found aeros to bite. Last 10yrs have been vapers. Just picked up a burley/virginia blend and find it pleasant. Vapers still reign supreme for me.
The pipe is a continuing experiment for most of us; at least, me. I know what I don't like and am still willing to experiment

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I use cobs for testing Aromatics and blends that I know are likely to be strong (like anything from G.L. Pease), but I work for a pipe company so cobs are sort of like candy around here. I don't follow the one blend per pipe rule and I don't think a pipe needs to rest for days and days before it's smoked again. I've dealt with too many old timers who have smoked the same pipe all day every day for 20 years. I have 3 regular use pipes and a few specialty ones,that I rotate regularly. Now I only smoke once a day or so, but this process has worked well for me.
All of the veteran pipe smokers I respect most firmly say "don't sweat all this stuff, figure it out as you go along." I think that's good advice. I see too many people ruin the joy by being overly worried about what they "should do" based on someone else's experience. Two or three pipes is plenty for now and you definitely don't need to buy $250+ pipes to enjoy the hobby or be a collector. As long as you're not burning holes through the briar, there really is no right or wrong. It's just what works best for you.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Some people use a clay pipe for sampling. Supposedly does not ghost and doesn't need any rest between smokes. My experience is that it clays smoke hotter than heck.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
+1 with the cobbs. It's an inexpensive way to have pipes that you can dedicate to specific families of blends. For example, I don't smoke latakia or Balkan blends in the same pipe that I smoke Virginias. The pungent oriental tobaccos will leave a ghost that completely interferes with the more delicate flavor of Virginias. Likewise I won't smoke Virginia in a pipe that I use for Latakia or Balkan blends because the ghost will compromise the flavor of the Virginia. If you like aromatics you will want a pipe for those, etc. It's not necessary to dedicate a specific pipe to a specific blend, but it's wise to limit the range of blend used in a specific pipe to those related in flavor.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Absolutely. Get some cheap cobs for sampling. Especially if you're trying strong smelling aromatics. Aromatics will ghost a pipe like no other tobacco. I don't have a pipe dedicated for each blend I smoke, but I do use specific pipes for different types. I have pipes used only for Latakia blends, pipes only for aros, etc.
Keep sampling. When I started, I went through a bunch of stuff I didn't like before finding some of my favorites. For that matter, I'm still doing the same 20 years later. Just discovered a new favorite this past Christmas.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The pipe is a continuing experiment for most of us; at least, me. I know what I don't like and am still willing to experiment
I won't challenge the cob idea, but as far as experimenting goes, I'm with hogwild all the way.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
As an experienced cigar smoker, I suggest that yeah, cobs? no brainer. But, cigar leaf, now...that's the ticket!

I've been experimenting with adding some broken cigar leaf to some of my cavendish based aros and have really enjoyed that particular enhancement. It doesn't take much and seems to help the burn as well as the taste.

I cut about a half inch off of my high grade cigar and add it to a few bowls worth of one of my blends and let is rest for awhile (24hrs is good, but seldom achieved).

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Last year, I asked the same question. In the process, I became a cob fan and smoke them more often than my briars. I devote different pipes to Latakia blends, VaPers, Vaburs, burleys and aromatics.
I devote one cob for each Lakeland blend I smoke, e.g., one for Ennerdale, one for Grassmere. Then, I put them in sealed ammo box and bury them, keeping them at least six paces from each other.
Seriously, I smoked Ennerdale in one pipe, and the ghosting severely interfered with the Grassmere I later burned in the same pipe. So, one cob for every Lakeland. I don't think I would smoke a Lakeland in one of my briars.
Pax

Status
Not open for further replies.