PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Just finished out a pipe using my new microblaster...This proved to be a major challenge- It definitely wasn't cheap- a little over $500 and after a few hours of trying to get it to work, I was ready to pull my hair out and throw the thing across the shop....so I sent it back....and got a new one a few days later. Then I tried 6 different abrasive medias at different settings to try to get it dialed in...and I'm actually fairly happy with the results...This pipe is one of my largest- 7/8" chamber, 2" deep, 5.5" long, and 85 grams...

2sabhts.jpg

9r0wb4.jpg

1zb8l0g.jpg

w18sap.jpg

1zczdsn.jpg

May 31, 2012
Totally friggin' AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap:
That looks spectacular,

very well done!
Thanks for sharing this and including a photo of the blast unit,

very interesting stuff.
btw

most excellent stainwork there,

and the cumberland stem is *perfect*

love the looks!

:clap:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I don't know which I like more, the microblaster or the results you got with your first attempt because they're both pretty nice. I'd love to hear more about your micro blasting. How much time once you get the hang of it, different grits and tips and pressures required, any information on the subject interests me.
For instance: How did you achieve the separation at the rim. Blast first and then cut the rim?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
How much time once you get the hang of it, different grits and tips and pressures required
@newbroom - Basically, just the abrasive blasting with the microblaster adds an extra 5 hours to the time to make a pipe- I could go much further and spend another 5 or 10 hours...but you hit diminishing returns at some point...and there's a reason why Cooke and von Erck are charging the prices they do...
It starts as a normal blast in my big cabinet to define the grain...and from there on, it's hours of chasing the grain with the microblaster using a lighted magnifier to see detail...and stopping every 30 minutes to replace the mylar that protects the top glass from being frosted...I'll be a little vague on the materials and pressures (I'd hate to deprive anyone of the joy of discovery)...but it's a glass abrasive- some of the other abrasive materials are dangerous to work around over long period...and it's at a low pressure...Tried the finest 50 micron nozzles and they are a huge pain- constantly clogging-I may eventually find an abrasive that will work with that...

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Zach you probably do this but I will throw it out, when I used to blast and tip started to plug, I put palm over nozzle and press foot petal and that would clear nozzle, not good for glove but Exxon was paying. LOL

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
when I used to blast and tip started to plug, I put palm over nozzle and press foot petal and that would clear nozzle

Yep..I do the same with my big blaster, but the smallest nozzles on the microblaster will jam in a heartbeat and have to be stripped and cleaned...A real pain...

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
That pipe is beautiful. Just when I think I'm over wanting another sandblast you got to go and show something like that. Killing me Zack..... simply killing me.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
As everyone has stated - you have "it". Now we need to know how/where to buy "it". :)

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
That is a beautiful pipe!! Your blast looks very nice, the contrast from blast to smooth rim really pops on this pipe. I love how it came together!!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Zach - that one is so artistic that I think it was really Greta who did that. The stem's striations are just perfect and so poetic. Makes all my brindles, even my Dunnies, look kind of random.
hp

les

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
....striations are just perfect and so poetic
Those words I will never speak in the presence of Greta- she might think I'm suggesting she has wrinkles and I would be a dead man long before I had a chance to explain...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.