PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm trying to exercise a little restraint, three pipes ordered in thirty days, so rather than

ordering the Peterson Irish Flake and C&D Burley #1, I decided to try "doing" something

like the Burley #1 at home. It dawned on me that I have the C&D Dark Burley, and I have

some McClellands 5100 Red Cake Virginia, and I even have some C&D blending Perique,

so hoop-de-day, I'm going to mix 'em up and see how it tastes. My notion is to do the

burley and Virginia in equal parts, with just a sprinkled blessing of the Perique carefully

reduced in size with scissors. I'm just playing around, not aging this or putting it under

pressure, so it's a mix not a blend, but it may further enhance my experience when I go

for the professionally produced items. I'll just wait for the Peterson's I think. It will be a

day or so before I do my mix, so if you want to advise on proportions, feel free. This is

a burley forward blend, so should I reduce the Virginia component a little?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ae1pt, thanks for the suggestions; I'll try your recipe. No, I'm imitating C&D Burley #1, so no Lat. Don't worry,

I haven't even smoked the last two pipes that arrived, but I will. Forging ahead here. Hide the Visa. I may

mix up enough for a baggie full, not the usual three/four pipe bowls.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I would definitely reduce the VA if you're trying to mimic Burley Flake #1. The Perique is very light also, but it's overwhelmingly a burley blend. There's just enough VA in it to keep it from being over-the-top harsh. Still, I'd be interested to hear how the half and half approach tastes -- I bet it's pretty good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I did the recipe that stuck in my memory, so it ended up two parts burley, one part Va., and a healthy pinch of

Perique, and this version is really lively and tasty. I'm well into the bowl, and there's no harshness. I have two

or three more bowls in this batch and may try a somewhat different proportion next time, but I think it's a good

mix. It would be a good wake-up blend, or after lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.