PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Spending my evening watching True Grit (the remake) and smoking my Barling Canadian with some best Brown Flake. Didn't know that Matt Damon character smoked a meerschaum pipe. Nice way to end the weekend, and a great smoke.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I could have a good time with that as long as it was the original True Grit. I can't handle the remake though. Still going to have to try some best brown flake. I have a 1/2 pound of Pirate Kake coming right now with some other staples to the cellar for this TAD. Next time maybe.

B

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I got the best Brown from Pruss, it's full of plume and dried to crispy. I absolutely love it this way, I'm starting to realize that I need to dry out my flakes to get the enjoyment out of them properly. I'm loving this stuff.
As for the movie I've never seen the john Wayne version, after this I'll have to watch it next.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Oh ya and started with a nice coffee and have now moved on to a nice glass of sherry, a pairing that works well for me with my pipes.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I love John Wayne movies and own MANY. John Wayne is truly an almost impossible actor to recast. IMO they couldn't have done much worse than Jeff Bridges. Make sure to watch the original.

B

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Having not seen the original I am enjoying this version. I will make sure to catch the original

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I’m a big fan of the original True Grit...probably my favorite JW movie...but I think comparing the new one with it is apples & oranges. The Coen bros. followed the novel much more closely (allegedly anyway, I never read it). Point being, they weren’t trying to re-make the previous film or its characters...and I think the new one must be watched with that in mind. I think Bridges pulled it off because he wasn’t trying to be John Wayne...he just played the character...and in a very different way than Wayne did.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
When I get to my other computer today, I'll share some pics I took a few years ago of that area in SW Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.