Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Truck Tech: Factors contributing to a rough ride?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

geopiper

Login to Send PM

Other than shocks and tire pressure, what contributes to the ride gradually getting harsher?

2003 Silverado 2500HD. 144,000 miles. Torsion/shocks bar up front, leaf/shocks in the rear. Bought the truck used with 57,000 miles and the ride was smooth. The ride gradually got harsher. I replaced the shocks with Bilstein 4600-series shocks and adjusted the tire pressure lower.

The ride is still rough in the front and back. Recently noticed the boots on all 4 ball joints are torn and leaking grease.

thanks for any ideas?

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. orobusto

orobusto

Login to Send PM

There are various rubber bushings (sway bar, body to frame...) which have probably lost pliability over the years.

Posted 1 week ago #
  3. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

With that age and the number of miles you're going to need a complete rebuild on that front suspension. My son-in-law has the same truck but 2011 vintage, and his whole front suspension was toast at 150k. After the rebuild and new tires, it's back to the smooth riding vehicle it was, well as smooth as a 2500 will ride

Al

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rebuild the leaf springs. I bought a UD Nissan with 200,000 miles to Hotshot and my first trip almost killed me, got home and felt like I had gone 12 rounds with me on the losing end. Found out there was a shop that rebuilt leaf springs, best money I ever spent, while it was not a butter ride it was very much improved.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 week ago #
  5. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like if this was my Lincoln 0f 1997 with 100 miles on it,lol,but yes, if money is not object, I'd guess a complete front end suspension rebuild would do the trick,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 week ago #
  6. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The shop called it re-arching, said springs lose their flex over time.

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The shop called it re-arching, said springs lose their flex over time.

Just like my body.... Glad to see great info. My wife's truck may need the same soon.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

geopiper

Login to Send PM

With that age and the number of miles you're going to need a complete rebuild on that front suspension.

What did you replace? Are you talking ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, etc...

Rebuild the leaf springs.

Thanks for this advice.

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   adforbes, autumnfog