Truck Tech: Factors contributing to a rough ride?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Other than shocks and tire pressure, what contributes to the ride gradually getting harsher?
2003 Silverado 2500HD. 144,000 miles. Torsion/shocks bar up front, leaf/shocks in the rear. Bought the truck used with 57,000 miles and the ride was smooth. The ride gradually got harsher. I replaced the shocks with Bilstein 4600-series shocks and adjusted the tire pressure lower.
The ride is still rough in the front and back. Recently noticed the boots on all 4 ball joints are torn and leaking grease.
thanks for any ideas?

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
There are various rubber bushings (sway bar, body to frame...) which have probably lost pliability over the years.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
With that age and the number of miles you're going to need a complete rebuild on that front suspension. My son-in-law has the same truck but 2011 vintage, and his whole front suspension was toast at 150k. After the rebuild and new tires, it's back to the smooth riding vehicle it was, well as smooth as a 2500 will ride

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Rebuild the leaf springs. I bought a UD Nissan with 200,000 miles to Hotshot and my first trip almost killed me, got home and felt like I had gone 12 rounds with me on the losing end. Found out there was a shop that rebuilt leaf springs, best money I ever spent, while it was not a butter ride it was very much improved.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
With that age and the number of miles you're going to need a complete rebuild on that front suspension.
What did you replace? Are you talking ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, etc...
Rebuild the leaf springs.
Thanks for this advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.