PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrywuzhere

Lurker
Apr 4, 2014
I was debating on whether to post this here, or in the Beginners area, but I figured it would fit in better here. Anyway, I tried smoking my first bowl of Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River and I couldn't keep it lit for anything! I packed it the exact same as I pack my Lane 1-Q and my CAO Moontrance. Is there something special about the Mississippi River blend that I'm not aware of? Is it too wet? If so, how can I tell when it is at the right moisture to smoke? Any comments or advice are appreciated!

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Here's what I do. I break the cake up. The entire thing and let it dry for a couple of hours then I put it a Mason jar. It likes to be drier unlike its namesake.
+1 on that. Dry your tobacco a bit.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
Mississippi River comes in cake form?! I bought 4 ounces of bulk when I first started smoking, and it was ALL loose...
I would suggest packing loosely, and dry it a bit more. See how that goes.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Mississippi River comes in cake form?! I bought 4 ounces of bulk when I first started smoking, and it was ALL loose...
It is not a tight packed cake & it crumbles very easily. (crumble cake) I usually get it a pound or more in bulk at a time. Usually about half (maybe a little more) is still in the cake form.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
As noted above, I like to dry mine a touch before packing and smoking. I break up the crumble cake and dry the tobacco for about an hour out of the jar, then I three step pack the bowl and I'm golden.
-- Pat/Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.