PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeude28

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2016
I just purchased some Peterson deluxe mixture and I'm having trouble keeping it lit. Anyone else with this problem?? It only happens with aromatics. Can someone help please?

Wet & goopy, let it dry. Pull a bowl's worth out, put it on a saucer, and put it under a light bulb for a little while. Or, I will nuke it in a microwave for 8-10 seconds. I live in a very humid area though. Some people can just let it set out for a bit, but that can make it even more humid in my area of the world.

Cliff_K

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2016
Ferron, Utah
Drying always works for me but if I don't want to wait that long I'll mix a little bit of a dryer baccy with it and more often then not get a better burn then just drying.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I put some Molto Dolce on a plate on a Saturday, and it wasn't until the next Tuesday that it was dry enough to smoke. You have to plan ahead to smoke aromatics.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The best thing to do with Peterson's Deluxe Mixture is to hurl it out of the window then buy a blend that actually tastes of tobacco.
That 'blend' is an absolute abomination, full of chemical flavourings, and should be withdrawn from sale immediately.
Invest in a tin of Royal Yacht or Full Virginia Flake for a real tobacco flavour :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Try Erik Stokkebye's 4th Generation 1931 Flake. Every tin has been perfect moisture, it burns slow and cool, has a nice but not overpowering honey taste that lets the natural tobacco flavor through, room note everyone seems to like, and a respectable nic content. I don't know why people bend over backwards trying to get pleasure from syrup-soaked cheap, tasteless burley when there are decent aros out there.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Do that, and I'll be there to catch it all, as I love this blend!"
Hunter, if you lived in the UK I would gladly post it to you along with a tin of Nutty Cut!
Regards,
Jay.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Hunter, if you lived in the UK I would gladly post it to you along with a tin of Nutty Cut!"
If I were in the UK I would gladly take your offer. I've not tried Nutty Cut, but based upon what I just read about it at tobaccoreviews.com it sounds good to me.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"I just purchased some Peterson deluxe mixture and I'm having trouble keeping it lit."
Are you packing your bowl too tightly? I had that trouble with aromatics, but found that they work better for me with a loose pack accomplished as follows. First I dribble tobacco into the bowl until it is overflowing, then I tap the sides with my finger-tip to help settle it, and repeat this procedure until it is full. I also tap (instead of tamp) as I am smoking, and am able to smoke right to the bottom of the bowl.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Greg Pease's Virginia Cream is just about right out of the tin. It is the only aro I've ever smoked that has a nice Virginia tobacco taste.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I agree GLP's VA Cream is in a different dimension from the sea of typical aros which are mostly cheap, second-rate burley infused with flavored glop. However I found VA Cream could bite like a crocodile, which is not unusual for blends comprised mainly of straight VA, but I think perhaps exacerbated by the presence of aro topping. I found that mixing 2 to 3 parts of it to 1 part Lane BCA tamed the bite completely without changing the flavor profile, as BCA is also flavored with vanilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.